Need help - 300 blk out build for family member.

Arnold Galvan

Mckinney, Texas
So I have a family member that is really wanting to build a 300 blk out SBR AR. He has already filed his form for the SBR and has a Omega can on order.

All hog hunting with this rifle will be done by stalking hogs or for shots under 75 yards. So the question is: should he go with a 7.5" or 10.5" barrel. Rifle will only use factory ammo since he does not reload, but it's a possibility in the future. He is also looking at a 1/8 twist on the barrel.

Not trying to start a debate, just wanting to give them all the info I can so he can make a decision he will be happy with.

Thank you
Arnold

Ratdog68

LSB Official Story Teller
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Take away your friend's bottle of Mall-Ninja Kool-Aide and have him get an *** 12.5" 6.8 barrel. The can will still work well and he'll be much happier once he gets over the hype of the .300 WTF.

You asked for opinions, there's mine.

Arnold Galvan

Mckinney, Texas
He knows what the 6.8 can do and his does plan on building one after he is done with the blk out.

One more thing I forgot to mention. He is really wanting the 7.5" barrel because the Omega can is something like 8" long and wants his build to be short.

BigRedDog

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
he will have a very attractive safe queen

if he HAS to have a 300blk, make it the 10.5

the pistol one is not for hogs, it is for people

BigRedDog

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
after ya''ll hunt with it you will understand

BigRedDog

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
also, his 300 can will work just fine on his new 6.8

theblakester

Got a black belt in keeping it real.
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Lol. When I saw the title of this thread I thought these would be the responses. Another 6.8 vote here. Skip the 300 altogether.

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Is the Omega rated down to a 7.5" barrel for warranty? If he has to go 300WTF then a 10.5" barrel, but really it is not really for hunting but clearing people out of buildings.

Itsazonik

Cape Coral, FL
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
The 10.5" is the way to go but even tlm couldn't kill a squirrel with the 300 Bo. For slightly more a 6.8 barrel is the only way to go. Unless you have an at as well then you can kill all the critters that run away for a 300bo shot

Arnold Galvan

Mckinney, Texas
Is the Omega rated down to a 7.5" barrel for warranty? If he has to go 300WTF then a 10.5" barrel, but really it is not really for hunting but clearing people out of buildings.

We talked about this yesterday, the barrel has to be at least 8" because of the warranty on the can. After this is built then he will build a 10.5" 6.8 upper.

Thanks for the input guys.

DaveABQ

Albuquerque, NM
Shooting purely subsonics I would go with an 8.5". The 7.5" is borderline on stabilizing and getting necessary speeds, 1050 fps with heavier 308 bullets like the 240's.

This is my 8.5"
151230527.jpg

Also, when shooting hogs, standard 308 bullets will work, but not very well unless placed well in the neck, but there are bullets made for sub speeds like Outlaw, etc

As always, anytime shooting a new load, test the stability through paper first before mounting the suppressor.

keatonskidmore

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I have a 8.5" on my blackout and wish I went 10.5. I'll probably end up getting a 10.5 soon.
Yes the 6.8 is a more efficient hog caliber but I've never lost a hog with my blackout and nearly all shots being 1 shot kills. All about the right ammo and shot placement just like any caliber.
The omega has different end caps for it so you can take that muzzle brake off and just have a flat cap making the can around 6" in length.

And I really want/need a 6.8 though!

DaveABQ

Albuquerque, NM
I forgot to add that I would go with a 10.5" barrel.

Yes, if shooting supers mostly. If purely shooting subs, an 8.5" is all that is needed to consistently get necessary max sub speeds with up to the 240gr bullets.