Narrowed down to 2 choices.. I think!

Mcfire1664

Armasight Zeus 336 3-12x50 60hz Thermal Rifle Scope
Pulsar Trail XQ38 Thermal Riflescope 2-8X38

There are positives and negatives of each. What’s your opinion?

Pros
Armasight will require external dvr.

Higher magnification
Different color palettes
Warranty 3 year 10 year

Cons
None I know. I have no experience with it.

Pulsar XQ38
Picture in Picture
Built in recorder
WiFi
Great Customer service from past experience

Cons
Same as above.

Is one clearly better over the other? Similar refresh rates. Can’t find anything on the Pulsar warranty. Is one display better over the other? Please chime in and thanks in advance for your help.

Mcfire1664

And I’ve been reading a bunch of threads on similar thermals. Lots of information out there. Wish this tech was common where I live to get hands on. I’m one of the few. The rest are using lights.

Brian Shaffer

Hog Hunter
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I don't think the different color palettes are much of a Pro feature for the Zeus. Why? Because you aren't likely to use it very often. Same for the Wifi on the Trail.

The Trail Actually has higher resolution (384 vs. 336)
Trail has more reticles, lots more, and their brightness can be adjusted
Trail is waterproof.

Pulsar warranty is 3 years, through Sellmark here in Texas. It is very good.

Mcfire1664

Thanks for the input. I have a Flir PS32 I scan with. I absolutely love the red hot. Really makes things pop. But that is older tech so the white and black hot may be more improved. Yeah I’d probably never use the WiFi. I do like the pip and the biggest issue I had with the Pulsar N750 other than its clunkiness was my ability to take fox size objects around 100 yards out. I’ll probably go with the Pulsar. That 10 year core warranty does make me feel a little better though on the Zeus. I had some issues with my N750. They sent me another before mine even got back to them. Just gave them a credit card number to make sure I sent it back.

Mcfire1664

PM him or call tomorrow? No real advantage over the 38 with the 50 model right? I wouldn’t let 500 be a deal breaker if it were really worth it.

slim_shady

LSB Active Member
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I have a Armasight Zeus 336 3-12x42 60.hz. to do it over I would have purchased the 640 3 12x30 Hz. A friend has a pulsar. Good but not quite as clear as my 336. On a good night I can identify the difference between hogs and deer at 400 to 500 yards. And simply see 1000 to 1200 yards.

Jhop

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
I've only used the XQ38 a few times. That being said the menu will take some time to get to know. However I'm guessing after awhile it'll become second nature if you buy that one. The multi reticles and adjustable brightness is very nice. I do think the picture is as good as the Armasight Zeus 336 3-12x50 in 30HZ that I have looked at, probably even better. The only draw back I see on the Pulsar I see over the Zeus is the lower Magnification. I also think the Pulsars focus is easier to use.

edit: I second ******** at *******************

Mcfire1664

The magnification is my biggest fear. I have fields where 200-300 yards isn’t unreasonable and wouldn’t mind taking that shot if I had one hang on me. So the extra mag would be nice.

Jake

Bandera, Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I would get the trail but again I am partial to Pulsar. I have looked through the 336 zeus but haven't hunted with it so can't help you with pros and cons with it. Yep like I said, call ********!

theblakester

Got a black belt in keeping it real.
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Another vote for the trail. I have hardly any experience with armasight/flir. But the internal recorder, battery pack, and wifi make it worth to me. The picture in picture is also a plus.
Also, pulsar claims it's a 2.1x magnification scope, but it seems a lot closer to 3x to me. It's native "2.1x" is more zoomed in than a Reap-IRs native "2.5x"

Reach out to Cliff. He will take good care of you.

Chopperdrvr

Deep East Tx
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Pulsar trail uses rechargeable battery packs good for 6 to 8 hours. The Armasight uses a couple CR123 batteries good for 3 to 5 hours. Plus one point to Pulsar.

Mcfire1664

I’m pretty narrowed down to the Pulsar. My question to the XP38 and XQ38 owners is if you were spending that much for a scope already. Is the difference in clarity worth it to go all in and get the XP38 and risk wife shooting you?