My Turn for a New 6.8

JPK

LSB Active Member
Got my 6.8 last week and my MD law limited 10rnd magazines yesterday.

[MD's gun laws are a joke. It is legal for me to own higher capacity mags, I just can't buy them here. So I'll grab a couple in neighboring VA when I have the opportunity.]

The upper and lower are by a local company, Engage Armament, which has to be one of the last hold outs in the gun manufacturing business in the Leftist Republic of Maryland.

The rifle has a White Oak Armory 16" bead blasted SS barrel and a BCM slim aluminum/magnesium alloy lightweight hand guard. Can't recall who made the butt stock, but I tried several at Engage and chose this one for fit and cheek weld and because it didn't rattle. Trigger is a Geissele G2S, which is a two stage, 4.5lb non adjustable trigger, which I find crisp and clean with virtually no over travel and think is a good compromise for SHTF and hunting use. Bare rifle weight without mag is 6.6lbs.

FWIW, the rail section in front of the magazine well is where I mount a panning bipod with a QD mount. I found by trial and error that if you are using a bipod when predator hunting the further rearward the bipod is mounted the easier it is to pan to cover a wider FOV with less movement. The sling point on that rail is temporary while I wait for the right mount for in front of that rail section. I shoot long guns lefty, but my 15yr old son is a righty. I'm a bit mixed hand since I shoot pistols and bows righty and play pool lefty. I don't find the operation of a right handed AR awkward or slow in any way, so I have decided, at least for now, that our AR's will be righty and I will adapt. Sling mounts on our rifles will be centerline or both sides.

The scope is a 1.25x4 Swarovski in a Bobro mount, and it will switch with the EoTech next to it in the photo. This is the rifle on which I hope to mount either an Apollo or IR MKII as a clip on. If I go IR, and I think I will, I will try it as a scope as well, to see which I prefer. But I am hoping to use the Apollo or the MKII as a spotter and then weapon mount for approach.

I have four hundred rounds of 6.8 ammo, half FMJ and half Hornaday 120 SST. I've been kicked out of the house this weekend since my wife and 18yr old daughter are hosting a prom after party, so this weekend both the 5.56 and the 6.8 are going to get a work out on the range at one of my hunting clubs. [I offered to stay home and clean guns in the kitchen all Saturday night, but my daughter didn't take me up on the offer. FWIW, I am a life member of D.A.D.D.s - Dads Against Daughters Dating.]

I am going to pick up a 5.56 upper for this rifle so both my son and I have 5.56 rifles in case SHTF. I have several thousand rounds of 5.56 just in case. I am 53yrs old and live less than a mile from the DC border, about a 20min drive to the Whitehouse or Capital. If you had asked me if I thought taking some SHTF precautions was necessary seven years ago I would have thought you were wearing a tin foil hat. Now I have taken some precautions and worry what might happen on or after Friday, January 20 2017, which is Inauguration Day. Maybe before.

ETA: I got the 6.8 because my son and I have done some hog hunting and really enjoyed it. And also because my daughter will be attending Southern Methodist University in Dallas next year. And I WILL visit her toting my rifle for extra curricular porcine activities!

JPK

FrankT

Destin FL
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Very nice!! The 6.8 SPCII is the #1 choice for hunting deer and hogs with an AR15!

Daughter at SMU yea for you! Hope you and the son enjoy!!

Ratdog68

LSB Official Story Teller
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Good lookin' bang stick. Congrats.

RattlesnakeDan

San Antonio Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Very Nice. I hear their are a lot of big Hogs in DC.

JPK

LSB Active Member
Thanks guys. I'm looking to giving the rifle a workout this weekend.

RattlesnakeDan, you are right there are a lot of big hogs in DC! Most have a D following their names, but there are a depressing number with an R.

JPK

JPK

LSB Active Member
Well, got the 6.8 out shooting this weekend and had a good time. Found out the rifle really likes the Federal 115gr FMJ's but unfortunately really didn't like the 120gr SST's.

POI at 50 and 100yds was similar, but the FMJ's shot nice tight groups and the SST's shot patterns in the 3" range. Huntable, I won't settle for that, so I need to find another deer/hog/ all round factory load for hunting.

I was thinking maybe the 115gr Fusions, thinking I might get lucky with similar POI with the 115gr FMJ's. Anyone have any experience with the fusions in 6.8?

I have used 150gr Fusions in one of my 30-06's with good results on deer and one hog. But the .308 150gr Fusions are at max velocity out of a 30-06, IMO, and would probably perform really well at 308 or 300 Savage velocities. So maybe the Fusion would work great at 6.8 velocity?

JPK

Itsazonik

Cape Coral, FL
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I used the fusions a lot in my 18" *** barrel. They shot really well. I had some really tight groups at 100 and 150 yards with them. It's strange your rifle didn't like the 120's, those shoot the best out of my rifle.

Ratdog68

LSB Official Story Teller
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Sometimes a barrel likes being cleaned and then shot with a few rounds of a new load to settle in and show the real potential of that barrel/load combo.

Itsazonik

Cape Coral, FL
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Sometimes a barrel likes being cleaned and then shot with a few rounds of a new load to settle in and show the real potential of that barrel/load combo.

I did have to shoot quite a bit to get my rifle to take to any load. My 458 was like that too. Now that one can't miss

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I have used the fusion, do not prefer them but they work, if you reload you can get them hotter than out of the box. I don't have a 6.8 that does not shoot all 6.8 ammo very well, of course they have *** barrels and a Bison pistol barrel.

hdfireman

Blackstone Arms
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
The 120 SST are normally group really well. Clean the barrel really good, I mean really good then start over with the 120's. After 20-40 rounds they should start to tighten up.

Next go around get an ***!! ;)

JPK

LSB Active Member
This rifle has a White Oak Armory barrel, and I'm not unhappy with it wrt the FMJ's. It was breezy with a quartering cross wind and I was using a Swarovski 1.25 x4 with a No4 circle dot, which is not what I would call a precision optic or reticle. Even so I managed a 10 shot group at 100yds with the FMJ's which was five touching in about an inch, and two out by about 1/2", opening the group to 2". If I'd have quit at three it would have been a one hole group, at four it would have been an inch group. But no five was out so I went ahead and shot the whole 10rnd magazine.

I have never owned a rifle that liked all ammunition. They all show a preference for bullet weight, for boat tails or not, sometimes ogive. For the few cartridges I reload for I have seen preferences for powders and COL as well. Some preference or not for pretty much any change or difference.

I am confident that I will find a good shooting, good performing load for the 6.8. I'll also try cleaning the barrel and shooting some more SST's. I have found accuracy improves with use, but only to a point, and only with loads the rifle already likes. I have never seen a rifle begin to shoot well a combination it doesn't like.

Funny but our 5.56 CZ bolt rifle absolutely loves the Fiochii 50gr V Max load, shooting one hole groups, but shoots the Federal 223 FMJ's relatively poorly into 1 1/2" or so, and the same for our 5.56 AR (but not so accurately overall.)

JPK

Itsazonik

Cape Coral, FL
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
My 338 win mag only likes Barnes ttsx bullets. Everything else opens up. Not much but enough to make me stick with the ttsx

JPK

LSB Active Member
Thanks guys, I think I'll buy a couple of boxes of TTSX's and Fusions and give them a try. I have found that TSX's shoot really well in a couple of rifles.

JPK