My New Thermal

Bakester

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Stars aligned and weather cooperated and I got to try out my new Zeus 336-42 this week. I forgot my shoot stick and that seemed to impact accuracy. I had been dropping the last several pigs with 1 shot but now I was back to needing several to bring them down.

I parked at a well pad that overlooks harvested corn fields just before sunset. I saw a boar pop out about 500 yards away. Started his direction and when I checked again, he had split.

Back to the wheeler and scan some more. Its getting dark now and out of the tree line, about 800 yards, comes trotting out a huge group of around 50 pigs. I stalk but they keep moving away and I concede after a 20 minute stalk. Pigs 2 - Zeus 0.

On my way back to the wheeler I see another group of 20 or so milling about. It's now very dark and I get in position for a 100 yard shot. Line up on the biggest take my shot and she takes off. A few shots were needed to bring her down but she did succumb before she got to the trees. 15 or 20 Footballs were huddled en masse and I couldn't quite pick out a single so attempted a rapid fire, indiscriminate technique that was kinda fun but not too effective. Scored one. The carcasses were another 100 yards or more and I committed to returning later with a camera for crime scene imagery but I didn't.

I headed north and kept seeing pigs but was thwarted for various reasons/obstacles. FTF on a lone boar and soggy ditch/moat on another group. Moving on I came up on a group of 20 or 30. I line up on the biggest and start firing. She takes off heading to my left and so does her buddy. This presents me with 2 nice broadside targets and it took several rounds on each but eventually they both fell. Another football huddle and I should have just walked up and started blasting but tried the rapid fire thing again and they all dispersed unscathed.

Overall, 4 kills. I had never seen that many pigs in these fields. Probably saw close to 200 by the time I quit at 11. The scope worked great. Need to figure out my ASC magazine issue cause that cost me a boar and definitely will not forget my shoot stick again. Oh and "Art" mode on the pix was unintentional.

IMG_3029.JPG IMG_3030.JPG

Curly Shuffle

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
It is nice seeing hogs in those numbers. Nice going. BANG BANG!!

I found out that taking apart those ASC mags and cleaning them right out of the pack then a coat of oil makes them work in fine fashion.

RattlesnakeDan

San Antonio Texas
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Nice job! Good way to end the year.

Bakester

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
It is nice seeing hogs in those numbers. Nice going. BANG BANG!!

I found out that taking apart those ASC mags and cleaning them right out of the pack then a coat of oil makes them work in fine fashion.

Ahhh, Guess I have project for today.

Ratdog68

LSB Official Story Teller
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Congrats on a fine outing !!

JPK

LSB Active Member
Congrats. Sounds like a fun night.

The photos make the hogs look like they are on pedestals. Interesting.

Fwiw, I have never had a problem with any of the six ASC mags I have when I take care to make sure they are fully seated. But a couple of times I haven't seated them firmly or given them a smack on the bottom to seat them and while they won't drop out unintentionally, they won't feed either.

I find my trigger stick tripods important enough that one lives in my hunting truck, and if I screw up and head from the truck without it, I go back to the truck.

JPK

RattlesnakeDan

San Antonio Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I have one ASC mag for the 6.8 and I bent the lips up a hair to allow for a quicker smoother feed when I was having problems. I was also dealing with other issues at the time so not sure what difference it made but others have done that with theirs.

Bakester

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Very good on the hogs!

That is some crazy tilt-shift looking photography. I like it! How did you do it?

Haha, my 6 yo niece managed to set one of the "Art" functions on the point & shoot while being the Xmas photographer. I didn't notice till I got home and had to have my daughter revert it to normal.

Bakester

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I have one ASC mag for the 6.8 and I bent the lips up a hair to allow for a quicker smoother feed when I was having problems. I was also dealing with other issues at the time so not sure what difference it made but others have done that with theirs.

Yeah, now that I'm looking, that seems to be a common mod. Found instructions so will give it a shot. Those stock lips seem to keep the rounds very flat. was gonna ask if anyone had done that.

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
that is a ton of hogs left for future hunts!

tcr2

LSB Member
Congrats. Sounds like a fun night.

The photos make the hogs look like they are on pedestals. Interesting.

Fwiw, I have never had a problem with any of the six ASC mags I have when I take care to make sure they are fully seated. But a couple of times I haven't seated them firmly or given them a smack on the bottom to seat them and while they won't drop out unintentionally, they won't feed either.

I find my trigger stick tripods important enough that one lives in my hunting truck, and if I screw up and head from the truck without it, I go back to the truck.

JPK

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
you did not get an MDVR with it?