My Introduction

Eric Mayer

Hi Everyone.

My name is Eric and I like all types of hunting, but varmint hunting is my favorite. I hunt Texas about once a year either on friend's ranches, or on commercial outfits. I've hunted everything from deer, to javelina, to snow geese, ducks, turtles, prairie dog, rabbit, predator and of course, hog, while in Texas.

My wife has family in the Tyler area, so I hope to head up there one of these years and spend some time hunting that area one of these days.

Thanks for having me!

Eric :cool:

Itsazonik

Cape Coral, FL
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Welcome to the forum. You will find a lot of different hunting styles here. Makes it a great group

BigRedDog

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Howdy Eric, welcome.

FrankT

Destin FL
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Welcome Eric, glad to have you! Where do you live and hunt now?

Eric Mayer

I'm born and raised in the Los Angeles area, where I currently live now. I hunt the high desert areas of California, from the ones down here in SoCal, to all the way up in NE California and everywhere in-between. I've been very lucky to acquire some private properties north of L.A. that I handle any depredation issues, including ground squirrels, rabbits and predators. My firearms of choice vary depending on where I am hunting. If it is in the lead-free "Condor Zone", then I am stuck with just a couple of my rimfire cartridges and what I can/want to handload for my centerfire rifles. I also use high-quality airguns and find that they've increased my chances of gaining permission on many of the farms I visit.

There are few places as beautiful as California, once you get away from the cities and people. Just like roaming around on a 100k ranch in Texas, where there is zero people and something going on around every corner, we have that on public land here in California. The public land opportunities are huge, if you choose to work for it. I put in a lot of time scouting and speaking to people in the last 30+ years I've been hunting here.

With all that being said, we are moving to Idaho in about 1.5 years. My daughter will be graduating high school next year and then we will be making the move. It's going to be tough starting all over again in my late 40's, but California is turning against people who own guns and it is only going to get worse in the next 4 to 5 years. The entire state is going lead-free by 2019, with the phase-in to begin next year. Also, our Fish and "Wildlife" (new name, it used to be "Game") Commission is now over-run by people hand-picked by the anti-hunting factions who run this state's department. Unfortunately, they have been running it into the ground and have begun pushing for laws to protect coyotes and other predators, even when their populations are exploding. That's not even mentioning the other political issues we have here.

After we move and get settled, our plan is to stay in East Texas for at least one month every winter to visit family and hunt as much as possible while down there. The rest of the time will be in Idaho working on running our businesses that California doesn't seem to want... ;)

Thanks again for the welcome and I apologize for the long explanation to a simple question!

cincoranchhntr

LSB Member
Welcome Eric. I too am from California. San Fernando valley back in the day. Been in Texas most of my life, thank God. I am trying to buy 27 acres in east Texas (Toledo Bend area) right now for hunting, bug out spot or just a nice weekend getaway until I retire there. If the deal goes through, I'll be happy to have you over to hunt some pigs. Hogs a plenty for sure!

John

BigRedDog

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Thank God you will be getting out of there.

Eric Mayer

I grew up in the SFV. I lived near Woodley and Plummer and went to L.A. Baptist High School. My buddies and I would camp and hunt up at the top of Rinaldi on the Getty Oil land before there were houses. One of those same guys moved to Texas about 20 years ago after we went on a Spring Snow Goose hunt and then pig/Javelina hunt. He couldn't leave fast enough after that hunt!

What part of the SFV are you from?

Thanks for the invite and I wish you the best with the land. If I end up with some decent spots to hunt, I will return the favor!

BigRedDog

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
If you can arrange a scouting trip to Texas around mid-October you can come hang out with a bunch of us

Chopperdrvr

Deep East Tx
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Welcome Eric. Wouldn't live in CA for all the money at Fort Knox. Moving will be tough for you, but I promise, you won't regret it. I work with several guys from Idaho, and from what they talk about, you will love it. Let us know when you plan to get to TX, a bunch of us will be glad to meet you.

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Thanks for the fill in Eric, sounds like you have a plan. It is always hard to start over again, I did it here in FL at 55, it is OK but wish I was home in TX. Idaho may be a lot of fun and some good hunting. Best of luck to you!

TXCOONDOG

Highlands, Texas
Born in Texas, raised in Oklahoma, lived in Commiefornia for 3 months (never went back) and been living in Texas for the passed 24 years.

Welcome

BigRedDog

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Anything new?

theblakester

Got a black belt in keeping it real.
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
how do you harvest game in cali?... throw rocks???
juuust kiddin

Eric Mayer

how do you harvest game in cali?... throw rocks???
juuust kiddin

We are really good at throwing rocks! ;)

I've got a couple of AR15s and just a couple of bolt-action rifles that I use. In the past, my go-to gun for predators was a Model 700 and a Model 7, both in .17 Remington. However, due to the lead ban and other restrictions, I now default to my Remington R15 in .223 or one of my 17WSM rifles. I have some lead-free .172 bullets that I will be loading my .17 Hornet for this winter, but that will be for the lead-free area exclusively.