My first look at PVS-14, His first look at Thermal (Zeus 3x 75 640)

customcutter

LSB Member
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I went over and met up with Drift yesterday. We set out our first hog roll barrel, and tried to sight in our new night vision equipment. I got mine sighted in but Drift had some equipment problems that required a visit to a gunsmith today. We are trying to work on some hogs and coyotes for a mutual friend. After sighting in the Grendels we headed back to the barrel just to see how well we could navigate with the PVS-14. It was overcast, no moon, and some times under tree canopy, and for the most part I could see fine to drive. I did manage to bump a few 6-8" pine stumps that were covered in the grass, but I wouldn't have seen those in the daytime. We sat there, a good ways off from the barrel, just to see if we could see any movement, but nothing happened, which we really didn't expect anything too. So we navigated, back to the north end of the ranch.

Our friend had told us that he was feeding some young heifers there, and if hogs were anywhere around it was most likely there. We stopped a 1/4 mile short of the gate and I quartered the truck so Drift could see out the window and rolled it down. He stuck the rifle out the window and started glassing the pasture. There were a couple of deer several hundred yards off. We drove on down to the gate and decided to look out the window before driving into the pasture. He looked out the window and said in a assertive whisper, "HOLY FREAKING COW, I'VE GOTTA GET ONE OF THESE ZEUS'S". Then he asked me, "Is the gun loaded?" I said, "No." and He replied, "It's a good thing, they'd never find your body." and we both laughed!!!! Then he said there was a pig just beyond the herd of heifers that was standing 50yds past the fence line that we had no idea was there, also 2 deer, multiple armadillows, oppossums, etc. I left the truck running a 6,0 diesel and we got out of the truck. I tried to stalk around the herd of heifers, but they weren't having any of it, and kept running off and spooking the pig. Long story short only the mosquito's won last night. We just learned a few more lessons about night vision hunting.

FrankT

Destin FL
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Good experience and not having the gun loaded...lol

Drift

LSB Member
I gotta get me a thermal. I just dont know which one yet. Not sure how I'm gonna tell my wife.

Ratdog68

LSB Official Story Teller
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Just get one for your wife... (good trade).

rob072770

Lewisville NC
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Do,like I did and tell her it is way cheaper than a bass boat! And the up keep is way cheaper.

customcutter

LSB Member
LoneStarBoars Supporter
A good wife is too hard to find. My wife and I shared our 42nd Anniversary 2 weeks ago tomorrow.

You can always try the male prostitute thing in the winter, when the snowbirds come down Drift, or did you forget that already?