My first hog

mike73

LSB Member
Last weekend I finally got on the hunting lease I bought into. The guys I was hunting with said try not to take a buck unless it was over 6 points but take any doe or hog I wanted to. Wind was perfect for hunting but bad for keeping my face from freezing. After a couple of hours I ducked my head to protect my face from a gust of wind. When I looked up 5 little hogs were trotting into the feeder. I managed to pull my gloves off, push back my hood, and finally put in my ear plugs. First look through the scope I decided 3X wasn't good enough so I cranked it up to 9X. I found the chair I was in was too low to get on the pigs so I had to stand up and get myself braced against the blind to get steady. All the pigs were nose on to me so I waited. I keep hearing the video on youtube saying wait the hog will move and give you a good angle but the only movement they made was to walk straight toward me vacuuming up corn. The spotted pig finally turned a little and my nerves got the best of me. I decided that if I put the round right on the inside of the near shoulder I should get both lungs. I got a good steady sight picture and touched off the shot. When I came down off recoil the spotted pig was laying under the feeder not moving while the other pigs scrambled into the ravine.

I have bad legs so scrambling through the ravine myself and dragging a hog up was not an option so I waited for my friends with atv's. When they went over to get it they just walked over. As they got closer I realized it was a lot small than I thought just a little piglet. When we started cleaning it we found the bullet entered just on the inside edge of the shoulder a little high and exited at the back of the offside ribs splitting the side of the abdominal wall nearly gutting it. It's almost hate to say I hit this little pig with a 168 gr soft point out of a 30.06. I was still able to get both front shoulders, the back straps, and the hind quarters. Virtually no meat but the ribs which were much anyway was damaged.

The rifle I had intended to use was a Noreen 25.06 but I had trouble with it when I went to sight it in and couldn't get it sighted in. Fortunately I had a plan B and had bought a new scope for a Winchester Model 70 I've had for probably 25 years but had never taken any game with. The 165 gr boat tail soft point Sierra Game Kings were left over from the early '80's that I had loaded for high power competition back then.

I am happy that I managed to mostly over come my nerves to make a good shot and a clean kill. I still put some meat in the freezer and hope that this is the first of my more.

Ratdog68

LSB Official Story Teller
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
"bout gut and quarter the lil' feller. LOL Nice shot just the same.

RattlesnakeDan

San Antonio Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Good job Mike!! Welcome aboard and hope you have many more stories and pictures to share. No pics on this one? We'll let it slide this time!.

mike73

LSB Member
The only photo I have is from the blind with my cell phone. At about 80 yards all you can tell is something is laying under the feeder. I decided not to take a close up picture since the guts were hanging out. Next trip I'm going to take my good Nikon camera and should be able to get some good pictures even from the blind.

bldsmith

LSB Active Member
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Congratulations on your success. The first one, even a small one, is a great feeling.

rgilbert

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
The only photo I have is from the blind with my cell phone. At about 80 yards all you can tell is something is laying under the feeder. I decided not to take a close up picture since the guts were hanging out. Next trip I'm going to take my good Nikon camera and should be able to get some good pictures even from the blind.
This is a hunting forum and we understand that the pics can be nasty sometimes. We like them that way. Post away and welcome to the site.

TEXASLAWMAN

Lone Star Boars Owner
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Good job if you can hit the little ones the big ones will be no trouble at all! And now you know what needs to be corrected in the blind for when that big deer walks out!

81police

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
WAY TO GO!

gshock

Banned Member!
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Congrats on the first hog! Its a thrill and good memory

mike73

LSB Member
When I had problems with my 25.06 the only other options were .223 or 30.06. As I was deer hunting I figured I needed more then a .223. I ended up hitting that little piglet with a round more suited to Elk but since it produced an instant kill and didn't ruin any meat I am not complaining. I am still going to try sighting in my 25.06 tomorrow because I would rather use it. I'm not quite sure why with how accurate the 30.06 ended up being. This whole experience showed me how important having a plan B it.

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Now with the target practice over you should be confident on your shots at larger hogs Congrats