Moultrie M-80 & its Variants

Brian Shaffer

Hog Hunter
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I just sent you a long PM, but basically, you got it. I would go INTO the store to make sure you get the right size of sim card. There are at least 2 now.

My land is about an hour from my place as well. Given gas prices, if I save just one round trip in my little car, that covers the monthly fee. So instead of going 2 or 3 times a week to check for hogs, I now go just once a week if nothing is showing up on the cellular cameras and then I go to check cams, feeders, and everything else.

Also, I can be on one part of the property and the cellular camera can be helping me hunt another part at the same time.

Brian Shaffer

Hog Hunter
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
ScoutGuard, Smart Scouter, Covert, Spy Point, and Moultrie all have such systems. Moultrie, I believe, is the only one that wants you to buy a service policy from them where you have to get your images from their website.

Soonlobo

LSB Member
Frank, not sure about the pricing but everything else sounds correct from what my bud Dave told me.

He has it set to send emails at times he selects after the feeder goes off. The deer out there hear the feeder go off, walk up, and about an hour later we usually get some pictures via email. I know you can have the pics sent to at least 2 email addresses.

Now that we know where the hogs have been on the property he got another cam and next week we're going to put our other feeder and his new Smart Scouter near where the Moultrie found the hogs three weeks ago.

FrankT

Destin FL
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Yeah the Smart Scouter seems to be the less expensive camera and the cheapest service, am going to look into it. I am telling you where you have these cams, put a solar powered motion detector light covering the same area and your night pics will come out much better if that matters.

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
AT&T gets 1 bar on cell phone most of the lease.

DaveABQ

Albuquerque, NM
I also run only Moultrie M-80's, have 4 of them now, want a few extra, seem to last long on the rechargeable AA's I use, and takes decent pictures

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Dave the new A5 looks promising for $65, I am going to try one out

Pootie

Santa Fe, TX
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Yeah the Smart Scouter seems to be the less expensive camera and the cheapest service, am going to look into it. I am telling you where you have these cams, put a solar powered motion detector light covering the same area and your night pics will come out much better if that matters.

Do you use any particular solar motion lights?

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter

Attachments

• PICT0032.JPG
    PICT0032.JPG
    111.6 KB · Views: 2

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I adjusted the cam wrong last I was there, normally it is not looking into the light...LOL
this light is above the cam and 30-40' from the feeder

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Well i have been field testing the Cheap Moultrie A5 cams for at least 6 mos now, 4 in the field, 4 C's, battery life excellent 5000 or so pics. 1 after 4 weeks out was sent back for replacement it just went dark. They take an OK pic day and night, 40' range at night. My biggest complaint other than the time resetting too often is all my pics of the wind. A pic ever min, the 5 then 10 of nothing. Even in a flat plot w no blowing weeds I will have 500-8-900 pics in a week and nothing in them and 30 when animals are present.

I saved the new replaced one so have 3 out now, I will not buy another but will continue testing and next time will post some pics as I have already deleted them form the last batch.

My older M-80's (4 in use) have been out 30-12 mos, working OK, some have corrosion problems on the contacts from the battery pack to the cam, so maintenance is required every visit, but great pics. Flash 60' and a wide angle lens, a month or more per 8AA's.

From now on I am buying whatever the walmarts carry(different at each store), keep them for 6-11 mos and return for a new one no matter how they are working for the next newer model. Easy to exchange or get your $ back no matter the reason.

I did order 48 AA rechargeable batteries 3000Mah, will see how they work in the feeders and cams I have.

RattlesnakeDan

San Antonio Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Here's pics from last night on 2 Moultries and 1 Cuddieback.
Having issues uploading.m1 030.JPG m1 030.JPG m1 030.JPG

RattlesnakeDan

San Antonio Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Oops...was trying do add 3 different pics. Somthing wrong.

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
That moultrie has great pics

RattlesnakeDan

San Antonio Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Thats that smaller one , the M80 I believe. I also have an 880, and a new Panoramic I haven't used yet. Maybe I will swap that one out in the morning. Mixed reviews on the big Panoramic one. I hear they eat batteries. It was hard to get the settings I wanted so

RattlesnakeDan

San Antonio Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Problems with this forum today. Trouble connecting.

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Well my M80, are good on Batteries, have not used the new ones...no problem w the forum today for me'