More Storms, More Hogs

Brian Shaffer

Hog Hunter
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Dave and I hunted the trough between two storm fronts. It wasn't a big window and we figured we would have about four hours with which to work and also figured the hogs would be out after the first storm. They were. With a bit more time and without a second storm driving us off the hunting grounds, I think we would have gotten on more (we saw them out on several properties we don't hunt), but that is how it goes.

Conditions were pretty awful for thermal. While the animals stood out against the background, everything in the background (trees, grass, etc.) had cooled to just about the same temperature and just looked gray. All this was made worse by a light mist that was falling as fog began to set in on us.

We pulled up at the south gate and scanned this property and saw a sounder in the NW corner of the field, but they were slowly moving east. Playing the light winds, we came in making a large arc and to the NW corner to follow them east and then ran out of time when they came to the next tree-lined cross fence...

Last week, I had a couple of malfunctions that turned out to be from being overgassed. A couple of adjustments to the adjustable gas block and the issue was resolved. Unfortunately, this week, Dave had issues. Some of the honking you hear in the video is verbal maintenance be applied.

DRowan

LSB Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Looks great in spite of the weather conditions

Jake

Bandera, Texas
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Great vid, glad the other index went down although humidity was up.

der Teufel

Livin' the Dream …
SUS VENATOR CLUB
I believe the perception is that percussive maintenance is aided by verbal maintenance, LOL.
TRUE! I find that sometimes the verbal 'encouragement' helps my machinery know that it needs to behave better.
Meanwhile, good shootin' !!

gshock

Banned Member!
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Nice hogs down! Always happens, AR jams when it's show time!

D

djones

hey OinK. this gives me an idea. you can haul off the babies in your brass catcher!

LSB Active Member
Are the mals you guys get with your AR's likely due to the suppressor/reloading? I don't do either.....yet....but I am interested to know the genesis of 'over gassed' situation. New rifle? New load?

Last edited:

Brian Shaffer

Hog Hunter
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Mine were a gas pressure issue and I just made an adjustment to the gas block (Superlative bleed off gas block). As for Dave's issue, he blamed the magazine, but I suspect it was the reloads that he was shooting. His second malfunction, the only one I actually saw, had a fail to extract with the new round fed in underneath the spent case, trapping the spend case.

Ratdog68

LSB Official Story Teller
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
C'mon... 'fess up B... you reached over and squeezed his clown nose to make it honk while he was trying to shoot.