More Oklahoma hogs

Navygator

LSB Active Member
Hey guys. First off, I am hoping to post this video but the internet connection is terrible. It would be faster to tape the SD card to a pigeon and have it fly to my office for upload. Sorry, raw video, no bandwidth to edit.

After a night of no hogs, they returned in force last night. Had a group of fifty or so show up on the field to the south of the house around 11 PM. Due to wind, noisy fence and a streetlight on our property, I had to stalk around them for about a quarter mile trek (I jog most of it). When I was getting in range, they got skittish and headed back TOWARDS the house. Retraced my steps and I was halfway back, my wife and youngest happened to step outside and the hogs split into two groups with one egressing the scene and about half going back to original spot.
Sooooo, retraced again and finally go close enough for a shot.

Lessons learned. I hadn't spent too much time on this part of the neighbor's property and was very off on my estimate to how far I was away from the hogs. This was made worse by the fact that the group that stayed behind were all smaller hogs and I didn't know that at the time.
I thought I was about 80 yards from the sounder, but was closer to 40 yards. This led to my second error, being in 2X magnification. I was also trying to watch the shots because neighbor had equipment in the area. He has cows to the left too so I was very deliberate in the shots that way.

Anyway, not great shooting but DRT'd the first hog that looked to be 150# in the sight, but was actually 70# or so.

scrmblr1982cj8

LSB Active Member
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Navygator,

Nice video! I think a Texas heart shot at the 18 second mark would have been interesting.

An observation - a human heart is only good for so many beats. Jogging makes the heart beat faster and wears out your heart, so you are actually killing yourself every time you run. If you had walked, you would have been in the right spot at the right time. And you'll live longer!

Navygator

LSB Active Member
Navygator,

Nice video! I think a Texas heart shot at the 18 second mark would have been interesting.

An observation - a human heart is only good for so many beats. Jogging makes the heart beat faster and wears out your heart, so you are actually killing yourself every time you run. If you had walked, you would have been in the right spot at the right time. And you'll live longer!

Appreciate the advice. I have been a trail ultrarunner for decades. When I am trail running, I keep it around 140 t0 145 BPM for anywhere from 4 to 8 hours. During the jog last night, my heart rate probably didn't get above 110 and should have dropped to 70 within a minute or two of when I stopped jogging and started walking. High for me, but low enough for steady shooting.

Bad news, can't blame my heart for bad shooting. I live in Ga and only shoot rifle when I come to OK so I am just not getting enough practice, especially on running targets.

Navygator

LSB Active Member
What part of Georgia? Any where near the peanut plantations?

No, NW of Atlanta. Not my top place of choices to live but my company moved me there 9 years ago. I have a couple of shooting ranges around the house, but nothing decent for rifle.

I did drop a couple of pigs in Florence a few years ago. One with the rifle and a few using dogs. First time I ever hunted hogs with dogs.

scrmblr1982cj8

LSB Active Member
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I killed a 375ish lb hog back in 2009 on a dog and knife hunt. Darn thing was the size of a small horse. One of the guys I was with shot it x4 in the head with a .30-30 and it still didn't die. The shots stunned him long enough for one of the guys to grab its back legs while I stuck him in the chest with a 12" blade. I have zero photos to prove this since the guy that had the camera fell into the creek on the way back to the truck, which destroyed his camera.

Its a HUGE rush when you finally get to stick one.

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Interesting you are in so much better shape than I ever have been...lol Nice going

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Now that makes it worse it was sounding like you were 20 something and now with that you are 40's...I once jogged and ran track in High school...lol

I was at the lease for 3 hours today and am worn out. I had not been out since we were moving so I had neglected it and there was a mess! 3 feeders and all busted! I put back up 4 cams and some seriously molded and old food out, we will see if they forgot where my part of the lease is...I sweated my ass off!

Navygator

LSB Active Member
Now that makes it worse it was sounding like you were 20 something and now with that you are 40's...I once jogged and ran track in High school...lol

I was at the lease for 3 hours today and am worn out. I had not been out since we were moving so I had neglected it and there was a mess! 3 feeders and all busted! I put back up 4 cams and some seriously molded and old food out, we will see if they forgot where my part of the lease is...I sweated my ass off!
Working the land is tougher than running. Spent yesterday clearing shooting lanes for my Father in Law and I can feel it in the arms today. Chainsaw gets heavy.

Ratdog68

LSB Official Story Teller
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Good hog down!! Too bad more weren't tagged as well. A good effort though. Thanks for sharing the video. Nice and clear too (BTW).

Curly Shuffle

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Nice going, looks like there be a mess a pork there!! Way to go! BANG BANG!!

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Curley, just for OLD DJ change your bang bang to Jam Jam...lol

D

djones

I keep it around 140 t0 145 BPM for anywhere from 4 to 8 hours.
my heart beats faster... and it stays that way all night long

... I have zero photos to prove this since the guy that had the camera fell into the creek on the way back to the truck, which destroyed his camera.
umm... guess what. yea, it didn't happen

Curley, just for OLD DJ change your bang bang to Jam Jam...lol
oh yea??? guess whose going helo hunting in the morning. bang bang on this... GET TO DA CHOPPA!!!

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
jams in a chopper too? watchout that can be dangerous

Navygator

LSB Active Member
Nice video. What thermal were you using?

JPK

Armasight Zeus 336, 42mm in 60hz. Not as fancy as some, but does a good job (after some initial hickups). Conditions were perfect for thermal hunting and I was also too close to the hogs which makes for excellent images.

JPK

LSB Active Member
Very nice view in the video when you had the scope at native magnification, and 2x wasn't bad at all.

Good thermal conditions help, but the resolution of your scope is nice.

JPK