More Ammo Testing - Hornady ELD-M on Hogs

Brian Shaffer

Hog Hunter
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
So, Hornady has expanded their offering of loaded ammo with their new line of bullets, ELD line that was slated to change everything. It seems that Hornady determined that their polymer tips were melting in flight and causing a deterioration in long range accuracy. So they revamped the bullet and added a new polymer tip, resulting in a slightly lower BC at short range, but higher downrange BC. They offer the ELD-M (match) and -X (hunting) bullets but only offer the ELD-M as loaded ammo right now. Discussion on another forum indicated folks were having good success with the ELD-M on all sorts of critters including hogs. Logic would dictate that you don't use match ammo on larger, tougher game such as hogs. As the argument goes, it isn't designed for hunting and no doubt some match ammo has been an extremely poor performer when used for hunting. However, there are LOTS of folks that swear by AMAX for hunting deer, elk (various calibers), and some that like it for hogs. It wasn't designed for this task, but has a loyal following. So here, the logic is that just because it wasn't designed for hunting does not mean it won't work for hunting...so let's find out. To be honest, I sort of expected this stuff to violently come apart with poor penetration.

Results were a bit bizarre. Had I stopped with the first hog, I would be quite excited about this ammo. It dropped a 240 lb boar with good penetration and a lot of organ damage (only going through 1 rib). On the 2nd recovered hog, results were more ambiguous. Shot #1 wounded the hog and slowed it down, but this was just a soft tissue grazing wound to the right hindquarter. Shot #2 into it seemed to enter from above and drop down alongside the neck and dropped the hog. As I was trying to shoot another not, I spied the sow making her labored getaway. Shot #2 should have been hugely disruptive and apparently was not. I had a short wound track but could not find the bullet or that it had exited. Bizarre. Shot #3 was at about 130 yards and shattered the left scapula, took out 4" of rib, traversed the thoracic cavity hitting the centra of 2 thoracic vertebrae, breaking through a rib on the other side, before embedding itself in the opposite side scapula. All in all, shot #3 seemed to perform exceptionally well, more along the lines of what I would see from SST ammo.

Mindreader1

LSB Member
Thanks for this Brian! Any idea when they'll do factory loads of the eld x? Looks like I need to go with the amax for now and use the black as my backup

rgilbert

LSB Active Member
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Great video Brian. One question. Do you think the ELD is needed for hog hunting? I can see the use for long range though. It is good to know that if you can't find any SST loads you could use this.

Brian Shaffer

Hog Hunter
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Do you need the ELD for hog hunting? Well, the ELD-M is $2 a box cheaper than SST. So maybe the question would be if SST is needed?

I am not sure the ELD-M will be as good as SST for terminal ballistics, but the sample I have is small so far. It is plenty accurate and despite the 4/1000 poorer BC, it still shot about 2/3 - 3/4 MOA at 100 yards.

It did NOT sight-in to the same POI as the SST. That was disappointing. It was off on both windage and elevation from my gun.

I have no idea why they don't have a loaded ELD-X offering.

Ratdog68

LSB Official Story Teller
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
That shot #2 is odd indeed. A "goes-in-ta", but, no "goes-out-ta"... an apparent end of travel, but no bits/pieces?!?! Must've been going so fast, it just vaporized into fairy dust? Good kills Kemosabe!

rgilbert

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Do you need the ELD for hog hunting? Well, the ELD-M is $2 a box cheaper than SST. So maybe the question would be if SST is needed?

I am not sure the ELD-M will be as good as SST for terminal ballistics, but the sample I have is small so far. It is plenty accurate and despite the 4/1000 poorer BC, it still shot about 2/3 - 3/4 MOA at 100 yards.

It did NOT sight-in to the same POI as the SST. That was disappointing. It was off on both windage and elevation from my gun.

I have no idea why they don't have a loaded ELD-X offering.
Easy Kemosabe! I was just asking a question.

der Teufel

Livin' the Dream …
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Interesting stuff!
Thanks for posting, and keep after 'em!

pruhdlr

Cantonment,Fla.
SUS VENATOR CLUB
I learned quit a few years ago that you really have to give the bullets in question a try on game (as long as legal where you live).
Although Sierra says to NOT use their SMK line of bullets to hunt wild game,I have used several different weights in several different calibers to great success. Specifically,the lighter weight .308" for deer and coyotes and also the Hornady 162gr A-MAX out of a 7mm Rem Mag for long range deer.
Usually you need to hit bone going in to start the expansion or the pitch and yaw to create a perminant wound channel. I have hit yotes with a 155gr Sierra Palma,square on the shoulder,coming from a short bbl 308Win and it is devastating. --- pruhdlr

Brian Shaffer

Hog Hunter
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
prudhdlr, funny you should mention Sierra Match Kings as they are often the bullet cited as being abysmal failures for hunting and that folks should use Sierra Game King. Come to think of it, I don't think anyone that has shown the failure of such bullets, but that is the sort of standing argument, LOL.

gshock

Banned Member!
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Good video and info on the bullet!