Monday & Tuesday Nights

Brian Shaffer

Hog Hunter
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Monday night, I watched a property for a while where I eventually spied some hogs, but in making a long, blind approach where the hogs were out of sight for nearly 20 minutes, they were gone by the time I arrived where they had been. They had moved south. Tried going after them again and the terrain meant me losing sight of them and upon arrival, they were gone...again. So I decided I would come back on Tuesday.

In the mean time, I had gotten a note from a landowner saying he saw hogs crossing his driveway and so I headed over to his place...

Tuesday, I returned for the hogs that lost me. Very similar conditions environmentally, but very different thermal conditions with a much improved image. The night started off with a coyote that I had watched for quite a while and eventually called it in reasonably close. Somewhere in the process, I never hit record. ERRRRR!

As I had patterned the hogs {sarcasm} so well from the previous night, they showed up right on time in the same area heading the same direction and I changed my approach accordingly...

AKay

LSB Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Thanks for all the videos and education you do!!!

J BAR K

Just trying to make a day.
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Good job! Tough old things, sometimes they just don’t want to quit. Good shooting!

lonepunman

LSB Active Member
LoneStarBoars Supporter
A good reminder about ensuring a finishing shot.

Lost one this down in the Rio Grande Valley that way this spring.

Probably did not last another hour, but still…I like to my method to be more humane than the average slaughterhouse.

lonepunman

LSB Active Member
LoneStarBoars Supporter
With only a few points differential in humidity between the first and second night, to what do you attribute the marked change in clarity in the thermal image?

Brian Shaffer

Hog Hunter
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
We have had a couple of days to dry out and had some sunshine. So vegetation is no longer wet and cool, but enjoys differential heating and heat retention between different parts (trunks, limbs, leaves, different types of plants) from the sunshine and so stand out much better.

Brian Shaffer

Hog Hunter
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
They are my load of choice until I run out of them. Federal says there won't be any more until December (early, middle, late?). However, the Speer TNT bullets are available for reloaders on a regular basis and are fairly inexpensive (I don't reload). I like the SST just fine. I think the TNT does a better job of destroying tissue inside 200 yards. If I was going to be shooting over 200 yards on a more regular basis, I would want the SSTs. Being heavier and with a better BC, they carry more energy farther.

Ratdog68

LSB Official Story Teller
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
And, another fine hunt!! What a difference once things dry out a little bit. Pretty soon, you'll be needing a trip to the beauty shop to have the webbing 'tween yer toes removed.