MOLLE Gear / Gun Belt Rig

lonepunman

LSB Active Member
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Recently, a couple of things I brought my gear belt to the forefront.

A couple of weeks ago, I got out of my usual system and check list when loading up a buddy to hunt; when I arrived at the property I realized I left my belt at home. Fortunately(?), we didn’t see anything so it wasn’t actually needed. But I definitely missed the security of having it on me.

Also another buddy of mine has recently made the move from deer hunting to thermal hog hunting, so he is spending a lot more time out in the woods. He admired my rig and asked me to replicate it for him. A shopping trip and a mere $86 later, he was set.

Condor Outdoor Products, Inc.

F704A1D3-DDCC-47DE-80DB-987DF3AD5086.jpeg

4D7C3839-DFEA-4805-BF47-B4A1449CEEEF.jpeg

CB986B8B-4DD7-4F9A-85B6-8B0CF90AF84B.jpeg

24633955-2301-4C2F-934F-CF8C25FDD19E.jpeg

The atypical shape and size of his mags required improvisation to carry two, but works well.

5D431895-6C68-449F-A1E5-3BDE3135AD70.jpeg

4481F21B-D0DE-4B49-8424-285E84EC99E5.jpeg

7EE081F8-764F-4587-B649-DC6DD3656D06.jpeg

(Just needs to add his sidearm holster; that’s a very personal choice and I left it to him).

Over the years, I’ve acquired, as I’m sure you have, a variety of ways to tote gear around in the field: backpacks, belt packs, vests. I tried various incarnations of each, but two years ago settled on a gear belt as my primary means of being equipped while on the move.

There a couple of reasons that I rarely use a vest or a backpack. I hunt hogs year round in Texas, and even though it’s usually at night, it’s still can get pretty damn hot when roaming the property on foot. Also, they are bulky and get caught up on branches when I’m cutting through the thicket or tracking.

And when I do need an item, (which sometimes is fairly quickly), I’m usually forced to remove the pack. And am always forced to wrangle when getting in and out of the truck.

Finally, there is a matter of scent control. The surface area of a backpack can accommodate a lot of smells, and I’m not one of those inclined to secure it in a natural pine box.

The belt addresses each of these issues: wearable when driving, low profile in the brush, better scent control and doesn’t cause me to sweat much except around the lower back.

Plus, the gear belt is also my gun belt, and I don’t tote a slick streamlined newfangled polymer sidearm. My father’s ‘60s Colt Trooper .357 hogleg gitzerdun, and it’s weight nicely counterbalances the bulkier port side.

There’s always other gear to keep handy. I’m usually within fifteen minute walking distance to my truck, but anyone with the few years of hunting understands that stuff happens, and the intended three hour tour of the bay can unexpectedly lead to an extended stay on an island (without Ginger and MaryAnn).

Now, I’m not a tactical kind of guy. Lacking military experience and any semblance of an AR platform, those shops don’t hold much use for me. But most do carry a solid selection of MOLLE gear.

(I highly recommend Banana Bay in Austin):
Banana Bay Tactical

And when it comes to building a gear belt, taxpayer-funded military engineering absolutely cannot be beat. You may bend a couple finger nails doing it, but by Gawd, you can cram a tonna useful gear in a variety of pouches on to a belt at a reasonable price.

I’m not the first on LSB to bring it up:

MOLLE in case you didn't know. | Lone Star Boars

Molle Pouch Adaptation | Lone Star Boars

Hunting vest/chest rig for hog hunting | Lone Star Boars

Three color options: Coyote tan, olive drab and tactical black.

(I know it’s popular, but I’m not a particular fan of the TacBlack. Used to hunt with a buddy who completely outfitted with it, and the landowners comments indicated he came across more as a jackbooted thug than an outdoorsman. And when you don’t own the land, even misguided perceptions matter).

The focus of this post is not the gear I carry, but HOW I carry it on the belt:

64533172-97FB-4B1C-849F-E95920BCDEA6.jpeg

99DA8E0B-E712-4060-AB29-BE5C5C68CA82.jpeg

01C15373-14D4-4835-BE21-7CAEA45177D2.jpeg

Medical pack (the largest pouch)
Tracking pouch (powerful headlamp / reflective cord / glow sticks)
Multitool pouch
Rifle holster Bolt action rifle gear review | Lone Star Boars
Miscellaneous pouch
Revolver holster

Weight without side arm or holster is 7 pounds.

(I shoot bolt in tight spaces, and don’t get many multiple shots, so I just keep an extra magazine in my pocket).

A couple of useful tweaks that have proven useful:

I was guiding with a thermal mono this year in a Rio Grande Valley harvested cornfield. Open terrain and no obstacles, but so dark that my partners could not see me from even a few steps behind.

After losing them a couple of times, I finally broke open a glow stick and popped it on the back. Issue immediately resolved with an easy $2 solution.

The stick fits nicely in the MOLLE lateral strap, but needs to be secured to prevent it from falling out. (I use a strip of Gorilla tape, which is always handy to have onboard anyway). It also can be used to obscure the light as needed.

I added reflective cord to the rings; from the rear, I can be spotted with a red headlight.

Also, occasionally, I need to take off the belt in the wild or in the vehicle, and the cords allow me to quickly locate in the dark.

0B1BECD8-13F1-485C-88A9-BCE1AD328D05.jpeg

Reflective Cord

The belt is easily adjustable. I hunted in 24° last night and wore my insulated overalls; in less than a minute I had adjusted the belt to accommodate the extra girth.

839E198E-C1D4-46F6-93A2-FDC9096212FC.jpeg

(I have marked the inside of the belt to eliminate the guesswork for my summer and winter gear fitting).

If you’ve a got a belt rig or suggestions, post a photo - I’m always looking for ways to maximize my gear.

Attachments

• 26E87D32-8244-4592-AEA2-E0328A1189E5.jpeg
    26E87D32-8244-4592-AEA2-E0328A1189E5.jpeg
    180.9 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

J BAR K

Just trying to make a day.
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Good post! I too have tried a couple of vests and I’m just not happy with them. Some good ideas here. Thanks. By the way I feel the same way about “cream” !