Misjudging A Pigs Size

dan11589

I'm sure most of the people on here are members of other forums or at least see a few hunting pictures on Facebook from time to time. Maybe it's just me but lately I've been noticing an increase in the number of pictures of people with their hog kills. I get a good chuckle when I read how big they are claiming them to be.

FrankT

Destin FL
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I don't care who you are, most have a difficult time judging weight...I have noticed the same as you, many 150 lb hogs reputed to be 275...lol

TomH FW

LSB Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
The tape measure calculation helps a lot, but as i learned, it is hard to keep the tape pulled taught while trying to take a pic all at the same time

dan11589

image.jpg image.jpg
If I down a pig that I know is big I'll use the measuring tape, but I usually don't worry about it. I've just seen a couple of posts lately with pictures and the sizes they are claiming the pigs to be seem way off to me. I don't know either of the people in the pictures posted above, but they have recently been posted to social media. Any rough estimates as to weight?

RattlesnakeDan

San Antonio Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Little guy is about 50 lbs. Big one is 150-160. Pretty thick hog could be heavier.
This one on my trail cam last night is about 700lbs I think. Pretty sure.m1 007.JPG

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
725 at least!

dan11589

The parents of the kid in the first picture are claiming that it's 250 pounds. The man in the second picture is claiming his is 400 pounds. I couldn't help but laugh a little.

RattlesnakeDan

San Antonio Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
That is a bit silly huh? I would say the guy was joking about the first one. The second one is laying funny and looks pretty thick could be closer to 200 but hard telling.
I went fishing with a buddy of mine in Kansas. We both caught a striper at about 5 lbs each was our biggest. We went to the cafe for breakfast and the guys ask how we did. He says, "yea, we caught a couple 10 pounders", I just laughed and said you can't tell them that, and he said well a couple 5's are 10 so what does it matter. Crazy.

dan11589

I think that they are both serious. I think they just don't know. I do have a tendency to understate things myself and they usually turn out to be worse. Especially after you look at the x-rays.

RattlesnakeDan

San Antonio Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
The Xray thing sounds a bit serious. Hope you are healing well. lol

dan11589

Ah, that x-ray comment was about my 8 year old daughter. She fell and hurt her finger on a friday and I told her to suck it up. Monday my wife took her for an x-ray and it was fractured. I pretty much never go to the doctor. I'm pretty sure I tore my hamstring a few years ago. It still hurts when the weather is cold. And I've broken both my feet and probably fractured my ankle at least once. I'm basically an idiot when it comes to not going to the doctor. My wife would agree.

Chopperdrvr

Deep East Tx
SUS VENATOR CLUB
You can add me to your club. My wife is always on my butt about not going to the Dr. I'm fighting my second respiratory infection in three weeks and still haven't taken any medicine or seen the Dr. Sometimes I think I'm a dumb *ss.
Ah, that x-ray comment was about my 8 year old daughter. She fell and hurt her finger on a friday and I told her to suck it up. Monday my wife took her for an x-ray and it was fractured. I pretty much never go to the doctor. I'm pretty sure I tore my hamstring a few years ago. It still hurts when the weather is cold. And I've broken both my feet and probably fractured my ankle at least once. I'm basically an idiot when it comes to not going to the doctor. My wife would agree.

Ratdog68

LSB Official Story Teller
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
"DA" status here too. I didn't go to the Dr. for fx ribs (three times), nor for fx fingers, nor for older injuries, even as a kid. I DO go to get antibiotics when I have a respiratory infection... mainly because I've had pneumonia more than once, as well as some other nasty things when I had the swine flu in 2009. When I go, I tell the doc what I'm there to get. LOL... 2005, I sit down on the table and he asks me what the problem is. I tells him, I'm here for a referral for surgery... for an inguinal hernia. I get attitude and a lecture on WHO the doctor is and WHO will be giving the diagnosis/prescribed treatment. "OK" I says. He pokes a couple of times and tells me, that's exactly what's wrong with you, I'm referring you to a surgeon. "OK" I says. So? (He asks) How did you know what was wrong with you? "Google" I says. I looked up hernias, and ruled out the two types that didn't match my symptoms. I enjoy pissin' off doctors.

Last edited:

JPK

LSB Active Member
Fish weight, hog weight, deer weight, it's the same.

Every whitetail would be a 12 pointer if we couldn't count antler points.

I do a lot of marlin fishing. You wouldn't believe the number of 300lb blue marlin that are caught and released. Some 700lbers, some 500lbers, a few 400lbers, but somehow blue marlin under 300lbs are rare as hen's teeth. Yea, sure!

JPK

RattlesnakeDan

San Antonio Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
You can add me to your club. My wife is always on my butt about not going to the Dr. I'm fighting my second respiratory infection in three weeks and still haven't taken any medicine or seen the Dr. Sometimes I think I'm a dumb *ss.
Chopper. I have to tell you. I got a respiratory thing for 6 mths or more. No doctors/ no insurance just kept going away a little and coming back. I was telling the guys at the feed store and they convinced me to buy some amoxicilin sp. For fish tanks. Hey, for 17.00 I'm in. I looked up the pills at home and researched, same pills prescribed only by doctors made in pharmaceutical lab in California. I took the bottle and got rid of that for good. I thought I had pneumonia, it was pretty bad. So now the Gov't is taking it all off the shelves at the end of this year because the preppers are buying it up and apparently they can't have that, you know, people getting well without their say so.

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I get all my Meds online, mainly from Mexico, Cpro and varieties of penicillin are cheap.

BigRedDog

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
All I know is the hogs are huge when they are running at you.

theblakester

Got a black belt in keeping it real.
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Maybe we could create and sticky a "looks can be decieving" camera angle hunting photo thread. And people can post pics with their harvested prize with normal pics and another pic to show how looks can be decieving with a "fun" camera angle.