Matching Powder with Bullets?

Hogdaddy

St. Petersburg, Florida
You can only get so much from a book, then you need what only comes from experience. It's really good to have you guys as sounding boards. Thanks :)

There are any number of reloading recipes available from manufacturers - powder, bullet, die manufacturers, reloading handbooks, etc. But it seems that matching up these recipes with what you've got in inventory depends a lot on luck (or experience).

I went to the only reloading store that I know of in the entire Tampa Bay area. Told him I wanted to reload .308 Winchester and he sold me a pound of Alliant 2000MR. Then I bought bullets based on what I could find in inventory and ended up with 400 made by Burger, Speer, Swift, and Nosler in weights from 168 to 200. Now I can't find any recipes that match what I've got. I've tried watching Master Chef but all I get is hungry.

I need Yoda...

TXCOONDOG

Highlands, Texas
I'm not Yoda or an expert so only use the information at your own risk!

I assume this is for the 700P, if so, most Remington's do best with 155-178gr bullets. Every gun is different and you will have to work up loads for best velocity plus accuracy.

Here is what I would start with:

168 -178grain Bullets, Federal 210 primers, 2000-MR of Min 42 grains and Max 50 grains, COL 2.800"

I would start with 42grains and work up in .5 grain increments, loading/testing 5 rounds of the same load, and checking for signs of pressure.

Once I find the the load that gives me the best accuracy with velocity (chronograph), I mess with the seating depth, if needed.

Read up on a O.A.L Gauge which can help with determining bullet seating off the land. The bullet touching the land can and will cause pressures to go up!

I highly recommend that you own 3-4 different reloading manuals to compare data and learn from which you should do before moving forward.

http://www.accuratereloading.com

Last edited:

Hogdaddy

St. Petersburg, Florida
Good info, thanks and I'll take your advice. Also, thanks for the link.

TXCOONDOG

Highlands, Texas
The .308 is one of the most common and easy calibers to load for.

Load development can be fun and rewarding so just take your time.

Let us know how it turns out.

BigRedDog

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
what barrel are you loading for?

what do you want to accomplish?

how much do you shoot? Reload?

BigRedDog

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
and he sold you the wrong powder for the bullets he had in stock.

Itsazonik

Cape Coral, FL
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Have you tried loaddata.com?

TXCOONDOG

Highlands, Texas
All major powder companies have data programs on thier websites to help guide a reloader.

Notice I said guide, Nothing but actual trial and error will get you the exact results that you are looking for.

There are to many varibles that data/programs cannot account for such as shooters ability, weather condition, reloading proficiency, weapon, etc

Just food for thought

Last edited:

Itsazonik

Cape Coral, FL
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I have a subscription. theres way more data on there than any other site has

Hogdaddy

St. Petersburg, Florida
Kinda off subject (sorry) but I'm in St. Pete and I've noticed some of you guys are also west central. I would be interested in making a group order of powder and handling everything (except delivery :) ).

Hogdaddy

St. Petersburg, Florida
Just ordered loaddata and it gave me everything I was looking for except Swift 200gr .308. Sent loaddata question re Swift and feel confident they will respond one way or another. Loaddata is well worth $30 in time savings alone...

ZenArchery

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I just stick to Hornady Reloading Manuel. I do have Speer and others to compare but I just like Hornady.
Horndyoda?!

DaveABQ

Albuquerque, NM
Most reloading manufacturer for bullets and powder make a recommended list based on their testing. This of course may be limited and I also find that most stop at a liability level, meaning you can probably go higher in charges in most guns.

My way of doing it may be to look at their data, but I usually surf the internet to see what others are using. This could be for a similar gun, powder or bullet combinationhttp://www.alliantpowder.com/reloaders/default.asp

Then when its testing time, I start low in the charge (careful of starting too low of a powder charge, you can actually get higher pressures with too low of a charge), I usually load 2 or 3 rounds of charges increasing by either .3 or .5 grains. I hang my Magnetospeed chronograph on the end of the barrel, I check velocity and pressure signs. Once I hit what I believe is getting to be pressure signs for my gun (have to be careful here, read about what pressure signs looks like and how to analyze when shooting), I then back down from there, loading 3 or 5 rounds starting about 2 grains less and increasing by .3 grains for each charge and check for accuracy to see if my gun like that powder and bullet combination and if there is a node where the gun is most accurate.

The powder manufacturers reloading guide is usually a good start, they may not have the same bullet, but usually one of the same weight and can use as a reference and then search the internet to see if anyone else has used that combination. As always, can't believe everything you read, so do good research and use caution in everything you do.

Alliant reloading guide:

http://www.alliantpowder.com/reloaders/default.aspx

Nosler reloading data:

http://www.nosler.com/load-data

Berger, Swift and Speer all use books, but much information on the internet.

Plus, their are usually dedicated forums or sub-forums for each caliber.