Man down!

lonepunman

LSB Active Member
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I typically hunt at night, alone.

Done it for six years. Logged hundreds of hours, dozens of miles tromping around. And enjoyed most every minute of it.

There are, of course, risks, which I take precautions to mitigate. Snake boots, medic kit, notification of where I'll be. And my primary rule of not setting foot from the truck (regardless of the time of day) without the big three: Blade. Flashlight. Phone.

The aforementioned medic kit hangs from on my webbing belt counterbalancing the weight of the Colt Trooper. (Almost). My medical background proves to be somewhat both of an asset and a hindrance; I can accomplish more with fewer supplies, but have desire for (and access to) cool medical toys that take up extra room.

Dermabond skin glue? Please and thank you. EpiPen? Not allergic to anything, but you never know. Tourniquet with clotting compound? Ahhellyeah.

I still (and especially) pack it when hunting with a buddy, and make sure they know what and where it is.

Whatever advantages hunting with a partner provides (and they are considerable), it invariably increases the danger of one person moving into the line of fire. Especially when every effort is made to exploit the advantages of hunting in the black.

Knowing where at where your partner is at all times is critical – whether he's three feet away counting down on a sounder or bunkered down half a mile out waiting for a shot. Splitting up a property can be productive, but when one of you wants to go on the prowl to a fresh spot or goes afield to track down a wounded hill country rhino, a previously safe shooting zone becomes a fluid situation.

I have found texting to be a highly valuable tool: quiet, virtually instantaneous, can be referenced at a later time. And smartphone GPS is handy not only for knowing where you are on the planet, but also in communicating that info in terrain that may be difficult to describe. Just open up the GPS on satellite view, snap a screenshot, send the photo and boom - your position is published.

Using these technologies in tandem can make for safer hunting, as long as each hunter promptly confirms receipt and acknowledgment.

But if you've spent enough time in the wild, you know that a lot of bad things can happen suddenly and unexpectedly. Then toss wild animals, rough terrain, firearms and darkness into the mix. And regardless of the technology, when a hunting companion doesn't respond to your call, the hog hunt is over and the manhunt begins.

Last winter, a friend and I had hunted together at the start of the evening. After spotting only a single hog, we decided to separate on the large property (each with a vehicle). I planned to spend the night; he did not. ("My house" refers to an old farmhouse on the property).

The conversation was documented on our text messages; the initial photo and all green message are from me.

Note the time stamps. It's usually not reasonable to expect an immediate response - sometimes you don't notice your phone vibrating, or you aren't able to answer right away. That said, I regret that waiting so long to go searching after his comm went dark.

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

I wait about ten, then jump in the truck and head for his last known location.

No one at the blind, but after some searching I find his black vehicle with my Flir handheld - the engine is cold, windows closed. From twenty five yards away, I lift the NV monocular through my open window. No one in the car, but something odd is laying on the top of it, not moving.

I call his name. Twice, loudly. Nada. Step out of the truck, reach down to make sure the trauma pack is in place. Bright beam on, holster unsnapped.

As I slowly approach, I can just make out the object on the roof. Although the weather is cold and damp, his expensive rifle and scope are laying on an old jacket, uncovered. I check his thermal scope - powered on, but low battery.

Why would a rational person stopped responding to texts and abandon a $5000 rifle?

I call again. No response. Don't remember drawing it, but the Trooper hangs in my hand.

A flicker of movement catches my eye - from inside the car. I step back and shine the beam inside. There's a body in the driver seat, but slumped over into the passenger side.

Warning: Disturbing Image Follows

image.jpeg

Relief.

Now I've just got to find the other six.

image.jpeg

Last edited:

slim_shady

LSB Active Member
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
What can I say.... I had one of those "I'm just going to rest my eyes for a min moment".

scrmblr1982cj8

LSB Active Member
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Good ending to a potentially serious situation.

I put my washer on the map board when I'm hunting since I have access to 16 stands and it would take a lot of work for someone to find me should something go wrong. I also text my wife when I pull into the area, into my stand, and when I'm starting the truck to drive home.

I ALWAYS have a .45 on my right hip for the bears and the pesky 2 legged animals that walk the woods at night that are up to no good.

gshock

Banned Member!
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Haha ... I think Dave told me this story! He closed his eyes for a sec and lights out and said you came by to check up on him!

Afalex1

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Lots of good steps taken in this story. It's always better to respond to a situation and it end like this then ignore it and find out your hunting buddy had a heart attack and died 12 hours after it happened. Or something else of a grim nature.

I fell asleep in the driver seat after a hunt. I pulled up to my friend's house, where I was staying. Turned the engine off and my eyes closed. I woke up 30 minutes later and freaked out for a second. I didn't know where I was.

Ratdog68

LSB Official Story Teller
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Time to break out the Sharpies!

Chopperdrvr

Deep East Tx
SUS VENATOR CLUB
That could have ended much different. Glad it turned out to be a laughable moment. My wife doesn't like it when I hunt public land. I have a find my friend app on my phone and I will text her my coordinates when I settle on an area. If I don't move for an extended period of time, she will text me just to make sure I'm Ok. Seems a little needy to me, but it gives her peace of mind.

Ratdog68

SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
That could have ended much different. Glad it turned out to be a laughable moment. My wife doesn't like it when I hunt public land. I have a find my friend app on my phone and I will text her my coordinates when I settle on an area. If I don't move for an extended period of time, she will text me just to make sure I'm Ok. Seems a little needy to me, but it gives her peace of mind.
Do you reply with: "Nope, I died." ?

Chopperdrvr

Deep East Tx
SUS VENATOR CLUB
She's such a worrier that she would assume someone killed me and took my phone and sent that answer.

Ratdog68

SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter

RattlesnakeDan

San Antonio Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
She's such a worrier that she would assume someone killed me and took my phone and sent that answer.
I tell my wife about the close calls, charging hogs, falling down some river banks after almost stepping on a skunk, having to search for my dropped phone in the dark woods, having a copperhead biting my boot while trying to pee, being surrounded by screaming coyotes, etc....she just says..that's nice. Bring home any hog meat?

Chopperdrvr

Deep East Tx
SUS VENATOR CLUB
I tell my wife about the close calls, charging hogs, falling down some river banks after almost stepping on a skunk, having to search for my dropped phone in the dark woods, having a copperhead biting my boot while trying to pee, being surrounded by screaming coyotes, etc....she just says..that's nice. Bring home any hog meat?
When I have one of those days, I just say "didn't kill anything but time, maybe next time".

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
That is why I have almost stopped hunting at night without a buddy, the age thing and accidents...good story and a happy ending!

LSB Active Member
Talk about funny I just had this kind of text string last week with a buddy. I tried a new to me company out of Jax called Deer Crossing Tree Stands who makes a climber in the spirit of the now defunct Tree Lounge. IMO it's better than the tree lounge in several respects up to and including putting me behind the tree for insanely good cover. I just love it, but I gotta be honest I dozed off 2x during my last couple of sits b/f rifle season ended. 'Hey douche bag you see anything over there? Why aren't you responding did you fall asleep in that new recliner?'. Of course I would never do that! For those of you who climb if you want me to expound I'm happy to do so. I have had back surgery x 2 so stuffing myself in a Summit has never been something I enjoyed or tolerated well. I could literally sit/lay for 15 hours in this thing.

pruhdlr

Cantonment,Fla.
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Don't use a climber anymore so that "danger" has passed. If I hunt by myself it is from my truck driving the roads of my club. Sometimes alone in my Bad Boy Buggy,but with all the survival tools tucked neatly in the rear bed.
Mostly nowadays with one buddy. We have hunted enough together that we know what the outher guy will do,and how he will do it. We are both in our late 60's so we get tired about the same time. We use my Toyota Tundra 4X4 and I always have a pretty complete first aid kit with extras,blankets,plenty of water,etc,etc.
Have hog loading system in place with winch,straps,ropes,etc,etc,to get the hogs from the ground into the bed. If we cannot drive to the hog we kill,we do not shoot one. If the peanut fields are too wet,we do not hunt or will use his 4X4 Rhino to drag the hog.
Both of us have had shoulder surgery so we can't do as much as 10 years ago but we are still out with our thermals,6.8's,and 300BLK's,killin' the bigger hogs,and generally having as much fun as old farts are allowed to have,dictated by the laws of mother nature. --- pruhdlr

LSB Active Member
Well that's great you have a system down and can still get it done! I'm not down the a thermal yet and have so much to learn with all the choices. We still kill a ton of hogs with $20 green lights I can't imagine what it would be like to look out past 100y in the dark with thermal. I'm salivating!