Lost in the Long Grass - Behind the Ear Failure

Brian Shaffer

Hog Hunter
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter

Well I am glad there is video to show some of what went on, otherwise I would be even more confused about what happened.

I got out of my truck about 70 yards from the first game camera that I was going to check last evening. It was on a tree at the fence line overlooking the oats field. As I leaned around the tree to open the camera, I noticed hogs in the oats, the small patch still left after farmer cut the oats. I made a quick trip back to the truck for my rifle and sticks and returned to the fence and the sow and her piglets could not have cared less. I watched her briefly and when she raised her head above the oats, it seemed like a good time to shoot. The shot was to be just behind the head, center of the neck. I don't think it entered there and the exit was behind the ear higher on the neck on the other side, not what I expected to see. It did not appear to directly impact either the skull or the vertebrae. The shot had no impact on her ability to run and run she did.

Despite behind close to the neck and being right behind the head, the Berger VLD-Hunting did not delivery the necessary hydrostatic shock that such a POI would need to drop the hog.

The hog first made it into the deeper oats and then into the Johnson grass along the fence that bordered the creek bottoms and out through one of the holes in the fence. Found the hole. Found tracks. So I thought it should be just a matter of following the tracks, right? Once I got on the creek side of the fence, any bare spot of ground dry enough to hold a track had either a hog or deer track on it. Tracks were everywhere. There were big tracks and little tracks. There were tracks on tracks. The only places that didn't have tracks were the rocks, vegetation, boot sucking slurry mud, and the flowing creek. I found no blood trail.

She could have gotten far away or possible could have died in the high vegetation. I could not find her and Angry Bird could not find her. It is now in the hands of the Turkey Buzzard Preservation Society.

scrmblr1982cj8

LSB Active Member
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
LoneStarBoars Supporter
When I can, I try to hit bone. Skull or shoulder joint. Hog eyes make great targets.

RattlesnakeDan

San Antonio Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter

RattlesnakeDan

San Antonio Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
We all have been there if shooting hogs a bunch. The Zombie Hog!

rgilbert

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
You got nothing but meat! "On the hog in case DJ is reading this". LOL

D

djones

You got nothing but meat!
this is signature material!!

dr. zeus,

couple things...
you're leading them too much
you're not following through
and mine was bigger

and btw... i just gotta ask... how did you get that pig to put on high heels?
hog%20skeleton_zps4tilepnc.jpg

Ratdog68

LSB Official Story Teller
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Tough break there Brian. Hopefully TBPS will give you an assist with the search.

theblakester

Got a black belt in keeping it real.
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
That's a little disappointing. Did u find a blood trail? Good video and great breakdown of what happens and why when u hit to high on the neck.

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I bet you will see her again and get another shot. I have seen them hit meat above the spine and recover enough to get hunted again.

Brian Shaffer

Hog Hunter
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Blake, no blood trail.

Well, I will be back next week, Frank, so maybe so!

I need to figure out a way to hunt in the creek bottom with all the spring growth from the floods, limited view, and clouds of mosquitoes. They are traveling through the bottoms quite a bit, but it will be a tough area to hunt.

RattlesnakeDan

San Antonio Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
""They are traveling through the bottoms quite a bit, but it will be a tough area to hunt.""
I like to hunt the creek bottoms too but right now it is tough, so thick and between the skeeters, spiders and sweat running in the eyes it's a challenge for sure.

lonepunman

LSB Active Member
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Great analysis on the video...

Also took a couple of screenshots from your previous photos to help explain shot placement to guests...

Jake

Bandera, Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Looked like a great shot. Same thing happened to me on the large boar on my bionic hogs video. The neck shot didn't phase him. Luckily we finished him with a hail of bullets. Bullet passed through right over the spine.

scrmblr1982cj8

LSB Active Member
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Why not just ask the hog to wear a tracking collar?

Some of the boys around have done that. They trap a sow, put on a collar, and let her go. They come back a few days later and track her down after she's rejoined the sounder. The guy I know said it worked for them a number of times.

RattlesnakeDan

San Antonio Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Just shoot them with a gps device...kind of a catch and release thing.