looks like i'll be going back to the 308

TEXASLAWMAN

Lone Star Boars Owner
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Now you know why I make him open and close all the gates!

I tough you were just making him exercise since he's looking a bit plump these days. But it makes sense now.

Wildfowler

Mis'sippi
SUS VENATOR CLUB
If DJ was shooting a DI gun instead of a piston that brass would look a lot worse. For the broken bolt I don't know what to say. 2500 rounds isn't even broke in on a lwrc. I bet they would like to look at that bolt.
That's a piston rifle that is allowing the brass to get that flunked up?

I don't own a piston rifle, but have always been told that suppressed they remain significantly cleaner. Those rounds look like what comes out of my 308 gas guzzler which is the dirtiest suppressed rifle I've got.

Ben Diss

I don't own a piston rifle, but have always been told that suppressed they remain significantly cleaner. Those rounds look like what comes out of my 308 gas guzzler which is the dirtiest suppressed rifle I've got.

DI or piston doesn't matter. That's caused by blowback from the chamber when the bolt carrier moves rearward and there's still some pressure in the chamber. It can be reduced but not eliminated with a stronger buffer spring or a heavier buffer and/or carrier.

D

djones

I tough you were just making him exercise since he's looking a bit plump these days. But it makes sense now.
doode you don't know the half of it. wait till you're 60. hair falling out, pecker getting smaller, everything hurts. for the life of me i don't know why women still throw their underwear at me. maybe they think i'll wash it??

DI or piston doesn't matter. That's caused by blowback from the chamber when the bolt carrier moves rearward and there's still some pressure in the chamber. It can be reduced but not eliminated with a stronger buffer spring or a heavier buffer and/or carrier.
cup_zpsp6gkjpkl.gif

tubbs flat spring and h3 buffer gives me 3:00 ejection

TEXASLAWMAN

Lone Star Boars Owner
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter

Have you seen how much he shoots??? I swear he's doing suppressive fire while OneK snipes.

Ratdog68

LSB Official Story Teller
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
doode you don't know the half of it. wait till you're 60. hair falling out, pecker getting smaller, everything hurts. for the life of me i don't know why women still throw their underwear at me. maybe they think i'll wash it??

cup_zpsp6gkjpkl.gif

tubbs flat spring and h3 buffer gives me 3:00 ejection
Oh, that's easy... they're seeing if it sticks after it hits ya. :eek:

TEXASLAWMAN

Lone Star Boars Owner
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Typical problem with gas piston uppers is timing and stress on parts. Believe me this won't be the first broken bolt lugs that LWRC has seen. Reason why I never use them.

http://68forums.com/forums/showthread.php?51656-Busted-Bolt-the-Pictures

Broken Bolt - Cause and Effect???????
Whatever same guy both threads, and the other bolt broken was a superbolt. Looks like the one in this thread is reloader caused. You can say some things about LWRC expensive, overbuilt, but definitely not unreliable.

D

djones

lwrc... if you're reading this, i'd like a cap when you return my rifle, please. and could you tell lawdawg to give me a team lwrc banner?

Marko

My comment wasn't really about LWRC, more about piston guns. Break bolts at a much higher rate than standard gas guns.

Reading through this thread, highly doubt this was a reloader issue, not when you shoot that many rounds through it with the same load and process, it is a gun failure.

D

djones

i think lawdawg was talking about the guy in your link who said he thought his failure was a hot load issue. i'm not saying mine was or wasn't, but i can't imagine i had a load get away from me. sometimes i fire a 'cooked' round that was left in the chamber after having fired many previous rounds in succession. i have probably done that many times, possibly weakening the lugs over time.

if lwrc determines it was something i did, i'm certainly not going to argue the point. i just want to know what it was so i don't do it again. no reason not to disclose everything for the price of a gun when safety is at stake.

D

djones

I talked with lwrc just give them a call, they will take care of it.

They would fix it for any customer their customer service is top shelf. It's not needed much but it's nice to know when you are the 1% with Sum Ting Wong all the time lol.

lawdawg you were right. they would have taken care of it. and your call to the regional mgr seemed to get the ball rolling in the right direction. unfortunately it didn't end up quite as i had hoped. i hadn't heard from them since the rifle arrived last thurs, so i gave them a call today. very glad i did too. looks like i'll be going back with a superbolt like several here mentioned i should have done in the first place.

here is a summary of the conversation i had today with tech support. i also sent a copy to the regional mgr to let him know i'm ok with the outcome. i appreciate your effort too. i have no regrets i disclosed everything in the problem description, including my handloads. a $150 bolt isn't enough for me to be deceitful. i'm sure there is a number out there, but $150 ain't it, lol

"I hadn’t heard anything on my rifle since it was delivered last thurs, so I called today to check. I spoke with support and said I thought y’all would have slapped a new bolt in and had it heading back by now. he correctly indicated that my instructions were to check out the gun too. he mentioned if I had just wanted a new bolt they could have sold me one. I didn’t expect to have it repaired at no cost since I was shooting handloads, but I was hopeful that y’all might have given me the benefit of the doubt. either way, I would have like to have known there would be a charge sooner than today.

then I asked if there would be a charge for the inspection and was told since I wasn’t buying the bolt they’re probably would be. since the inspection was just a precaution, and I don’t think anything else is wrong, I passed on that service and asked to have the gun returned. he was happy to do that and charge me for the return shipping fee, since I wasn’t having anything done. I can’t really complain, I just wish I had communicated better at the beginning. I could have avoided being without my gun for two weeks.

thanks for taking a personal interest in this repair. it is still my favorite rifle… when it works :)

dj"

RattlesnakeDan

San Antonio Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Dear Sum Ting Wong,
It appears that the care you have given to your rifle is the same care I give to my canoe paddle. Besides a broken bolt, gummed up rifling, fouled receiver we did manage to find our beloved Logo after much mud scraping. It does appear to have been one of our rifles at one time, some time ago. We are not saying that this rifle is abused just that we don't believe it was actually used as a rifle but some form of garden tool. Next time you send us something with no note and that much grime please include some quarters for the car wash. Sincerely, Lwrc.

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
STW (formerly know as DJ), very honorable of you, proud of your ethics and honesty...

I would have had the gun checked and another bolt put in by LWRC, heck might be the only time it got cleaned and checked properly! As much as I like the superbolt, I have never broken a bolt, I believe *** even has alternatives to the Superbolt since I bought them. JP rifles also has an enhanced 6.8 SPCII bolt as well and maybe another company.

OneK

LSB Active Member
Staff member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Dr. Jones, I admire your honesty. I fail to see how a reload that is below factory performance can be a problem for a $2600 rifle. Returning this with an inspection and a new bolt would have been in my opinion a customer service home run for no other reason than the advertising they would receive on this forum alone. It sure cooled me down for a Razorback II. Probably for the best though as the duet of Djones and lawdawg would probably be unbearable.

Curly Shuffle

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
With all the bullets you fire I do not know why you would send in your rifle, Plus you reload?? I would have cleaned it bought another bolt or sent that one in and asked for a new one plus ordered one for back up. Bolts do not break that often. You should have been hunting 3 days after you broke something!! BANG BANG!!

If I shot as much as you I would have a spare rifle with parts!! in what ever caliber you shoot most often, just sayin!! BANG BANG!!

pruhdlr

Cantonment,Fla.
SUS VENATOR CLUB
For me - - - > I reload most everything. If I reloaded hot or above hot and had a problem I would not expect anybody to fix my weapon for what my screw up was.
On the other hand,if I was loading at SAAMI pressures and there was a problem,I would expect the weapon manufacturer to take care of the problem. BUT . . . I would not admit to using handloads.
Handloads voids most any warranty . . . and I understand why. --- pruhdlr