Long Stalk Lone Boar

Brian Shaffer

Hog Hunter
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I went out to St. Jo in north Texas on Tuesday night and saw a bunch of hogs, but they were mostly on the neighbor's property, in with the cattle, and I could not get them to come over to the dark side.

So I went back Wednesday night and hoofed it to the north end of the property where I could see the neighbor's cattle and what looked like a lot of movement. By the time I got closer, I wasn't sure if the motion I had been seeing was hogs or maybe just calves playing, so I kept watching the herd to see if maybe there were some hogs still hiding with the cattle.

Eventually, I spotted one and he came across the fence, but was nearly downwind of me. By the time I swung around to be down wind of him, he had moved off to another location and I approached with a strong cross wind. I thought he would bust me visually. The moon was quite bright. He was preoccupied with rooting and took no notice of me and the wind did a good job of covering any sounds I made during the approach...

Did you catch the spray of blood from the snout caused by the first bullet impacting the shoulder and damaging the lungs? It was really apparent in the slow motion portion of the credits.

I mentioned at the end of the video getting growled at by a hog. I was gathering my gear together after getting pics and heard growling behind me. It sounded a lot like the low, throaty protestation that I have heard bulls make when I got into their space in a barn. The sound grew louder and I turned around with my spotting scope to see if maybe I had managed to upset one of the cattle somehow and <100 yards away was a large boar, standing quartered toward me, looking at me, and growling loudly. I grabbed my rifle off the ground and by the time I got it up and toward him, he was running off in the woods. He never got close, but the growl was quite impressive.

Last edited:

Cazz

US Army Veteran, Hunting Addict
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Nice shooting!

scrmblr1982cj8

LSB Active Member
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Cool video! You sure do love slicing them up after they are dead!

Homebrewer

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Great write up on your hunt Brian. Liked the post mortem from bullet damage too.

OneK

LSB Active Member
Staff member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Bad news Brian scores again!

RattlesnakeDan

San Antonio Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
You have been getting long shots lately...Good job!

gshock

Banned Member!
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Good video and nice hog down ... always good vids and info.

Ratdog68

LSB Official Story Teller
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Great "prophetic" video (March 17, 2017) there B. :D Tough bugger, that one. Lookin' forward to the "I'll see your growl, and raise you a PEW-PEW!!" video.

theblakester

Got a black belt in keeping it real.
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Well done!.. but I need a safe space after seeing those guts. I didn't think the pig actually bled when u hunt.

Jake

Bandera, Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Great shot, stretch that barrel!