Let's talking Hunting Blind

ZenArchery

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I'm in the market for a new hunting ground blind. I like to put up and take down. So I need it portable, light weight ish, easy to put up take down, good to conceal scent and enough room for a 29" bow draw length and space to video.

What are you using? Likes and dislikes. Thx.

rgilbert

LSB Active Member
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
I've only used two. I can't remember the makes of either. The problem I have with them is they are too damn hot. Also where I hunt deer all of the feeders have a barbed wire fence around them. Ground level and I have hit the wire only to have my arrow deflect up and into the deers backstrap, never to be recovered. When I'm elevated in a tree I'm shooting over the fence. I know it's no excuse for not seeing the fence. The other problem I had was snakes getting into them. Nothing that would hurt you, but it may make you hurt yourself.

The plus is you don't have to climb into a tree and risk falling out. Used to not bother me until I hit my late forties. LOL

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I have the umbrella style double ground blind, never used. Reason it is still new after 3 years, Snakes, ground sitting, poor view, have to carry a chair along w the blind. I have thought about a chair blind, they appear to be more practical as the chair is part of the blind and I would get a double there also.

cincoranchhntr

LSB Member
I made a two man blind out of PVC pipe. Designed it so it has 2 frames glued and the rest is pressure fit. I can set it up in about 10 minutes. It is mainly for night hunting a sendero or pipeline. We can have 2 baited spots a few hundred yards apart, set it up halfway between and we can hunt 2 spots from the same blind. I designed it so there is a window (opng) on opposing sides so we are shooting 180 deg from each other.
As far as snakes go, I made the camo fabric longer so I can place rocks/dirt on it and create a barrier.
It is very easy to carry and assemble anywhere for the most part.

cincoranchhntr

LSB Member
Got pics?
I'll try to get pics next time is get down to the ranch. It's basically a 2" dia pvc frame that assembles into a 6x6 stand. I ordered lightweight camo fabric online, attached grommets and attached the pieces to the frame with zip ties. The fabric I got is digital camo and water rolls right off. If several are interested, I could sketch it up and post it...... plenty of room for two hunters and I can stand up in the middle (6'+)

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Yes, sounds like something I could use.

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Can I build it to fit the bed of my truck and drive it to the meet n greet to use as a camper?

cincoranchhntr

LSB Member
Can I build it to fit the beit of my truck and drive it to the meet n greet to use as a camper?

Absolutely. My buddy built his to fit his truck bed. He hunts out of it and I know he could sleep in it too. Glad you're coming by the way!

Just don't set it up till you get there !!!!:eek:

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
yeah but can I drive w it up or build so it comes apart?

cincoranchhntr

LSB Member
You'll be able to store it flat in the bed and put other stuff on top, all strapped down for the trip.
And, yes you will be able to remove the unit from the bed during the day if you go on a trip to town.

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
So I just need to build mine to fit my truck bed...good idea...I have sat in the bed before with a camo camp chair and in a leafysuit...animals don't even seem to notice w the truck pulled into a slot cut in the brush.

I have been looking at those truck bed tents for camping off the ground.

cincoranchhntr

LSB Member
Just build a PVC frame with legs that will fit into the stake holes about 3 or 4 feet high. Take measurements and just imagine yourself assembling it and taking it apart and how you will cover it.......make some sketches and visualize it before you start.
I can't stress enough to think it all out thoroughly before you start. It will avoid frustration and you will get it right the first time.

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Yeah I will get me a nightmare going and end up w a joke, have to draw it out.

BigRedDog

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
As to your headline, I don't think it is a good idea to hunt blind.

Nothing personal, just not very safe