Had high expectations for this bullet.
Lesson on form over function.

05K5PRBl.jpg

The Development

The Hunt

pruhdlr

Cantonment,Fla.
SUS VENATOR CLUB
It did not look to me that the coon or the coyote was hit solid in the heart/lung area.
In your vid I believe that you stated that the bullet was 2.8". Are you sure the twist rate of your gun is compatable with a bullet of that length ?? That seems awful long to me for proper stabilization.
If I am following your train of thought . . . you are looking for a bullet that dispatches a large hog cleanly yet does not exit a coyote. ( ??? )
If this is true,there is not one made . . UNLESS . . you plan to make head/neck CNS shots on hogs . . ONLY. What is the average weight of a full grown coyote down where you live ?? Guessing . . about 25-35lbs. Even with a Center chest hit with a bullet clipping bone on the way in,your gonna get an exit. And most likely multiple exit wounds. Most likely the very best hit would be square on the shoulder,somewhat high.
Even in mid winter when the coat is prime,a yote does not offer that much resistance to pass thru from a heavy,solid copper bullet. It's a momentum sorta thing.
When living in Maine,I used to kill them with a 7mm Rem Mag shooting a 115gr Speer HP at 3500fps. It worked (just) OK.
If I got a pass thru,it wasn't pretty. During testing,this bullet/speed combo,would not even make it thru 2 milk jugs. --- pruhdlr

Brian Shaffer

Hog Hunter
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
While I agree that the shots looked a tad outside the optimal zone, it is a big bullet with a lot of velocity and you would think it could handle shots that were less than absolutely precise on such small animals.

As for the stability issue, the bullets look plenty stable hitting the targets.

Shooter

Bedford, Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
i cannot believe you would shoot that coyote while he was trying to take a ****.

Just kidding

I am sure you will find the Hornady amax to be much mor effective

der Teufel

Livin' the Dream …
SUS VENATOR CLUB
I certainly would have thought that a bullet that flies apart like that should be able to down a coyote under most circumstances. Interesting and a bit concerning that the song dog was able to make a getaway. Still, you were conducting a learning exercise and we all learned a little bit.

Maybe …

Taco

LSB Active Member
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Yeah that gimmicky bullets are gimmicks.

pruhdlr

Cantonment,Fla.
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Once you get up past .257" or so in bore size the bullet weight (momentum) and S.D. thing are hard to overcome. The Speer line of HP's have a huge opening so that is why I used them in .284".
In your .264" if you use the lightest HP available,with the highest velocity possible,and you put the bullet square on the shoulder,it MIGHT not exit.
But generally,that would not be a good combo for hogs . . UNLESS . . you put it on head /neck CNS.
I say. - - - > Find the best big hog bullet for your gun and forget them yote pelts. When living in Maine I tried the coyote thing. Killed hundreds of them. A winter prime pelt would bring $40. THAT'S IT !! I (semi) quickly found out . . . not worth the hassle. [ YMMV ] ---- pruhdlr

gshock

Banned Member!
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Good vid.. didnt work out as planned but always next time! Happy hunting.

TEXASLAWMAN

Lone Star Boars Owner
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I used the 458 socom version. Only 5 hogs have run off from my 458 socom all five were with this bullet.