Leading running pigs .308 vs 6.8 vs 300blk

txhunter

I have been hunting hogs with a AR10 .308 and I am considering trying a 6.8 or possibly 300blk. With .308 I have found I don't have to lead running pigs, I just shoot at the front of the pig and follow through and I seem to hit where I am aiming (practice from lots of duck hunting only less lead). How much would the lead need to change for 6.8 or 300blk barnes supersonic? Just curious if I will need to remember to pull in front more compared to .308. Typically night time shots 150 or less, usually 100 yards or less.

I am also accustomed to pigs going down really well with the .308. When I hit them good they are usually DRT and even when I don't hit them that good most of the time they don't go too far. I like the DRT shots. Am I going to notice a significant difference in knock down with 6.8 or 300blk supers?

If you could only have one gun, would you stay with the .308? I do like the idea of a lighter weight platform. LWRC is coming out with a lighter .308 which looks like it will be nice, it is 8.5lbs. With more options coming out in .308 I don't want to go lighter and end up back where I started.

Thanks for any info based on your experience.

TEXASLAWMAN

Lone Star Boars Owner
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
A hog on a full run should take more of a lead than what you are saying at 100 yards. the 6.8 and .308 are going to be pretty close. Fifty yards and closer I put the dot on the hogs nose and it works great, 50-100 yards about half a foot in front depending on the speed. The blackout was disappointing for me and is now a safe queen so not sure on the lead as I do not use it anymore.

6.8 has somewhere around 80% of the .308's knockdown power at 300 yards so you give up a bit of power for a lighter package with no recoil for faster follow up shots. I have a high 90% DRT rate with both the 6.8 and the .308 using the SST bullets. I've also had hogs take multiple hit's from both calibers that should have been DRT kills.

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
The DPMS GII and *** Nexgen 308's are 7-7.5lbs. I am a huge 6.8 fan but moving to it from a 308 I think I would be disappointed, now with the new light 308's you are the same weight as a well built 6.8.

TEXASLAWMAN

Lone Star Boars Owner
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I moved from the .308 to the 6.8 and at first was let down but I was using the wrong bullets for hogs. After I found the SST bullet it was all good.

ZenArchery

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I've only hit a handful on the run. As much as I love my 300, I don't think it's the most "idea" for running hogs. Especially ranges beyond 50 yards.

rgilbert

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
I've found that they will run to your vehicle on the road. Elusive little Bast---ards

DaveABQ

Albuquerque, NM
As TLM said, definitely have to lead with the .308 or any caliber, depending on distance, angle and speed. I did a calculation previously of Distance = Rate x Time, just to figure out how far I had to lead coyotes I was shooting at. If they are purely broadside running at 100 yards at 20 mph, you would be surprised how far you have to lead. When talking bullet speed, it does make difference, but more of an issue is distance, angle and how fast they are moving.

Read this article and you'll see the calculations at different distances ,etc.

http://www.udarrell.com/leading-running-game-rifle-frames.htm

JPK

LSB Active Member
Perceived lead can be very different from actual lead.

For example, shooting with a sustained lead (where you track the animal, holding the sight picture constant) means you need to hold the actual, mathematically calculable, required lead ahead of where you want your bullet to go in the target. But using a swing through method (where you begin from behind the animal and swing through it's body) the perceived lead is no where near the actual required lead, the lead required for shooting sustained lead.

I haven't shot any running hogs but have shot a bunch of running deer on deer drives. If the action is quick and close it seems to work well to swing through and press the trigger when the sight or crosshair gets to the front of the chest, if the deer is a bit further then on or below the nose. Further yet, which would mean in more open ground, sustained lead works well. At least in my experience.

A skeet range is a great place for a shooter to imprint leads, imo. The center white post is 21yds from any of the 8 stands in the semi circle. You will shoot targets anywhere from a few feet from the muzzle to about 35yds in a round of skeet, and moving at various angles. Shot gun patterns from typical skeet target loads leave the muzzle at ~1250fps. This works out really well translating to typical center fire rifles, in my experience. I have surmised that 2x1250=2500fps; 2x21yds=42yds ends up close enough to real world running deer shooting that practice on the skeet range is practice for running game.

JPK

Itsazonik

Cape Coral, FL
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I have a friend who keeps trying to get me into skeet shooting. I have tried it a few times before and I can't see to hit a damn thing. But when it has come to leading deer I have never had an issue hitting them.

JPK

LSB Active Member
Ha! No doubt Chopperdrvr!

No wonder TLM smacks those hogs on the run with such regularity.

DaveABQ

Albuquerque, NM
Perceived lead can be very different from actual lead.

For example, shooting with a sustained lead (where you track the animal, holding the sight picture constant) means you need to hold the actual, mathematically calculable, required lead ahead of where you want your bullet to go in the target. But using a swing through method (where you begin from behind the animal and swing through it's body) the perceived lead is no where near the actual required lead, the lead required for shooting sustained lead.

JPK

um, what? the lead is no different whether you start from behind or track from the front...but I think I know what you're trying to say

you trying to say this?

Last edited: