L3 "Chrome" White Phosphor

Delta4-3

LSB Member
Vendor
I got another batch of L3 White Phosphor tubes in with crazy specs. The picture sucks because I was holding my phone up behind the 14 to get a picture, but it looks phenomenal in person. I tried the same thing before and after with a 28 SNR Pinnacle tube and couldn't get a usable image. I am planning on going out tonight and getting some better pictures with both green and white tubes side by side.
Eipg3GI.jpg

Afalex1

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
What's the $ on these?

Ratdog68

LSB Official Story Teller
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Can I correctly assume this is a night vision product, and not a thermal one? I suspect a "14" is a PVS-14? I wouldn't know a "28 SNR" if it tried to bite me.

That IS a fine image, especially from a cell phone pic.

Acronyms are nice when typing, or handy for those plugged into the market... but not much use to those of us who might be interested in "one day" considering a night optic. "Chrome" is something in need of polish and wax (on my bike).

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Nice I like that better than the green

keatonskidmore

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Can I correctly assume this is a night vision product, and not a thermal one? I suspect a "14" is a PVS-14? I wouldn't know a "28 SNR" if it tried to bite me.

That IS a fine image, especially from a cell phone pic.

Acronyms are nice when typing, or handy for those plugged into the market... but not much use to those of us who might be interested in "one day" considering a night optic. "Chrome" is something in need of polish and wax (on my bike).
Yes it's Night vision. Chrome is the color of the image. Instead of green it's more of a silver look. The chrome ones are suppose to be as good or better than most gen 3 tubes.
SNR = signal to noise. To my understanding it determines the clarity. I could be wrong there.

Ratdog68

SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Yes it's Night vision. Chrome is the color of the image. Instead of green it's more of a silver look. The chrome ones are suppose to be as good or better than most gen 3 tubes.
SNR = signal to noise. To my understanding it determines the clarity. I could be wrong there.
Grassy-Ass Ameeeeego. Helps us'n old farts who haven't grown up immersed in video games to learn the jargon.

customcutter

LSB Member
LoneStarBoars Supporter
So which is better a 14 or 28? I would think the lower number would indicate a lower signal to noise ratio, and therefore lower quality? But my logic has been faulty before.

Hard_ware

Here piggy piggy! Deep Deep S. TX.
14 = PVS14 which is a case style, the image tube inside is what makes the image.
Different companies make the image tubes, like ITT make the pinnacle and Everest tubes, L3 makes the chrome (white phosphor tube) and regular L3 tubes, Photonis makes XR-4 XR-5 and various other models. Shades of green is the most common color, some are darker green others are yellowish, white phosphor is black and whiteish, L3 calls thier version chrome

The higher the signal to noise ratio the better contrast and less noise especially in low light, the L3 tubes have been really good lately +30 s/n ratio and higher ( over 30 s/n in the past from any MFG was hand picked diamond +$4000 unit). ITT tubes +28 s/n is common with the pinnacle line, I have 2 that are 27.8 and 27.7 s/n 64 lp/mm and 72 lp/mm paid under $2650.00 ea with 5yr warranty.
Other factors like lines per millimeter or (sharpness). Most tubes min specs are 64 lp/mm some are as high as 84 lp/mm but much much less common.
New tubes usually have a spec sheet with them that show the performance. The generic all in one number is the Figure of merit which is the lp/mm times the s/n ratio. FOM numbers above 1400 for ground and 1600 for aviation use are not exportable, unless proper paperwork is completed.

keatonskidmore

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
So which is better a 14 or 28? I would think the lower number would indicate a lower signal to noise ratio, and therefore lower quality? But my logic has been faulty before.
I'm guessing when he said 14 he was meaning a PVS-14. If I understand it correctly the higher the number the better. I could be wrong though I'm still fairly new to it as well.

Ratdog68

SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Thank you very big for the replies, much appreciated.

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I really do like the white tube

Hard_ware

Here piggy piggy! Deep Deep S. TX.
Nice pics

Is the image a blueish tint or is that from the camera?
I have not played with the L3 chrome units, just the ghost tubes from armasight which are a b/w image but 2nd gen units

Delta4-3

LSB Member
Vendor
Nice pics

Is the image a blueish tint or is that from the camera?
I have not played with the L3 chrome units, just the ghost tubes from armasight which are a b/w image but 2nd gen units
Yessir, they have a blueish color to them. It is very easy on the eyes. I've messed with the L3's for the last couple years and they still continue to impress me. They have two attributes that I like the most. One, they are easy on the eyes, as previously mentioned. Two, they have great contrast when looking at darker objects like a hog, since there is more contrast between black and white than there is green and black.

Last edited:

Homebrewer

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Delta4-3... You have a voice mail.

rgilbert

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
That thing looks awesome! What is the price point?

Delta4-3

LSB Member
Vendor
I 2nd that ?
I don't have the exact price nailed down yet, but should next week. A PVS-14 with a white phosphor tube should be under $4k though. We are also looking at doing a trade in program as well, where customers can send in their night vision devices to be inspected. Then, we will offer to switch tubes out to a WP tube, and buy the tube it is replacing.