Just moved to Dallas!

BobbyRatTail

Greetings, everyone! I'm new to Texas and hog hunting! I'm excited to be a member of this forum! Anyone know of any places to hunt in the Dallas area? My friend and I have tried public hunting grounds with no luck. Finally bagging a hog has been all I can think about lately!

Wassman

Houston, Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Welcome glad to have you, there are a few Dallas members around I am sure they can point you in the right direction. Or you could look into getting a hunting lease and perhaps all year hunting.

Ratdog68

LSB Official Story Teller
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Welcome to the fray. Killing a wild hog is on my bucket list too. I think you'll beat me to that one. LOL

BobbyRatTail

Welcome glad to have you, there are a few Dallas members around I am sure they can point you in the right direction. Or you could look into getting a hunting lease and perhaps all year hunting.
A hunting lease? We bought public land permits, but I've never heard of a hunting lease... Hitting google now. Any help from forum members would be greatly appreciated!

TEXASLAWMAN

Lone Star Boars Owner
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Welcome! You really have to get about an hour away from Dallas. There are just too many people looking for hunting spots. I know in Dallas County you better have written permission if your on someone's land or the wardens are hooking you up. Just too many people.

BobbyRatTail

Welcome! You really have to get about an hour away from Dallas. There are just too many people looking for hunting spots. I know in Dallas County you better have written permission if your on someone's land or the wardens are hooking you up. Just too many people.
Seriously! We've been driving to a public hunting spot about two hours away from Addison (where I live), and even at that distance from Dallas it seems picked clean. We see plenty of sign, but never any hogs. We're three trips in so far...

Afalex1

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Texas has very few public hunting opportunities. The areas that are available see a lot of usage and the animals are smart/scarce.

A hunting lease is when you alone or a group of people pay annually to a land owner for hunting rights. If you do not want to pay for a lease you could check out some of the public lands in Oklahoma just north of you. There are a lot more public places in Oklahoma then texas, but you will have to research oklahoma hunting regs and get an out of state license.

Lawman is right. You will need to get at least an hour from DFW to even begin to find a private place or lease. Getting to hunt somewhere for free will take time and relationships. I moved to Abilene about 9 months ago and am lucky to hunt with a friend 1.5 hours east of me when invited or drive 2 hours back to wichita falls. I still haven't found a place near me that I can hunt anytime I want.

Welcome to the forum and Goodluck!

rrv333

LSB Member
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Tejas is over 95% privately owned, so unless your an owner, hunting leases are the way to go. Good luck in your quest and welcome to the site.

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Welcome and good luck, almost have to find a lease or marry into a ranch!

RD knows his hog is here in FL, already promised...friend killed a 200lb boar on the lease this morning sitting for deer.

Ratdog68

LSB Official Story Teller
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Some day... some day. The invite's appreciated.

rrv333

LSB Member
LoneStarBoars Supporter
RattlesnakeDan is correct 1000%

BobbyRatTail

Texas has very few public hunting opportunities. The areas that are available see a lot of usage and the animals are smart/scarce.

A hunting lease is when you alone or a group of people pay annually to a land owner for hunting rights. If you do not want to pay for a lease you could check out some of the public lands in Oklahoma just north of you. There are a lot more public places in Oklahoma then texas, but you will have to research oklahoma hunting regs and get an out of state license.

Lawman is right. You will need to get at least an hour from DFW to even begin to find a private place or lease. Getting to hunt somewhere for free will take time and relationships. I moved to Abilene about 9 months ago and am lucky to hunt with a friend 1.5 hours east of me when invited or drive 2 hours back to wichita falls. I still haven't found a place near me that I can hunt anytime I want.

Welcome to the forum and Goodluck!
Thank you for the advice! There is a TON of information on Google regarding hunting leases in the DFW area. Some seem legit, while others not so much. Can anyone help narrow this down for me? Where can I find a good hunting lease for pigs?

rrv333

LSB Member
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Go West, young man and make a fortune. I'm biased to the West but East Texas has kazillions of the porkers. p.s. the whole state is covered in the trouble makers.