Just didn't work out.

Colby

Central Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Went out last night with plans to really hammer down on a group of hogs that had been tearing up a field really bad.

They probably have 15 acres completely rooted.

I first noticed they were still coming when the other night we were doing a deer survey and we saw about 35 hogs
We had the biologist with us so we couldn't shoot them and of course they just walked around the truck and disappeared in the tall grass.
Last night I was finally able to get out been busy with work and school started Thursday again.
Anyways we had a little shower that afternoon and it cooled things down so I knew they would be out right at dark. The shower also laid some of the tall grass down giving me a better field of view but it would also harm me later in the hunt...
Anyways sure enough the hogs were out there, not quite where I wanted them to be but after I watched them for a minute or two I noticed they weren't moving the way I needed them so I had to go.
The approach would be down a fence line boarding a hay meadow and a pasture we keep heifers in. The heifers being on the north side. I had to be careful not to alert the heifers but also couldn't alert the hogs as well. It's happened a few times where heifers have ran up to me expecting to get fed in the middle of the night and spook the hogs.
So I walked down the fence and got with about 40 yards.
The hogs were really scattered out which I didn't like but I needed to take some shots. I picked out one in the back and fired. DRT.
Then this is where the rain problem began.
After the shot all I saw was fog. So I cut off the ir and moved positions and in time managed to score 2 more hogs.

Not big hogs so didn't bother with pics. If I would've knew what was going to happen I would've used the video but I planned on killing a handful of them.

Oh well that's how it goes. I plan on keeping at them since they are causing so much damage

FrankT

Destin FL
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
LoneStarBoars Supporter
at least 3 are down!

TEXASLAWMAN

Lone Star Boars Owner
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Got to love it when three kills is a bad encounter!

Colby

Central Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
If I didn't have the fog hanging over after I shot then it would've been 5 or 6 the way they didn't run off right away

DaveABQ

Albuquerque, NM
Good job. 3 kills my last time out was exceptional off of a feeder lol.

Ratdog68

LSB Official Story Teller
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Nice work Colby, keep on 'em.

Chopperdrvr

Deep East Tx
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Nice job. I would consider 3 kills in a year a good year.

TEXASLAWMAN

Lone Star Boars Owner
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
If I didn't have the fog hanging over after I shot then it would've been 5 or 6 the way they didn't run off right away

I hear you fog was not a problem for me this weeked but the back glass of the scope fogging up was. All I saw were fuzzy black blobs and no crosshairs but still go four with pure luck lol.

BigRedDog

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
too funny

Colby

Central Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Out here right now..
Of course they came out way up wind of me. Must be pretty dumb, I backed up and they keep moving into the down wind position. Hope all goes well

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Live action!!

Colby

Central Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Well it didn't work out again, they were on the edge of a tall grass field working there way through the cows to the hay field I had just cut and that's where I had planned on killing them. Well I guess the heifers had other things in mind and they pushed the hogs the opposite way into the tall grass, I fired and hit 1 hog. I think he went down but I will have to wait for buzzard confirmation.
Here's the last picture I took of the heifer walking towards the hogs.

DaveABQ

Albuquerque, NM
That's hunting. Any way to move the cows somewhere else temporarily?

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Darn cows...LOL