It was the worst of times & the best of times...

customcutter

LSB Member
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Friday night finally came around, and sure enough 5pm rolled around and I could hear the thunder off to the north. I was hoping the rain would skirt around us, and it did. I was busy checking out the new DVR and installing the battery, making sure everything functioned properly. It powered up, battery showed fully charged, got it mounted to the scope in the supplied nylon case with velcro tabs. Checked the scope real quick to make sure the batteries were fully charged there, I left the scope on the first hunt and killed the first set of CR123's so didn't want to be fiddling around out in the truck trying to install new batteries. Scope powered up, and showed the batteries fully charged so I shut it down. I hooked up the cable to the DVR and slipped everything into the case and carried the gear to the truck. Cranked up the truck and rolled all the windows down and unzipped the rifle case so the scope would acclimate to the hot humid air.

I drove out to the property about 15 minutes away and opened the gate, sprayed down with mosquito spray after closing the gate and jumped in the truck ready to do some damage on the boar that was flipping clumps of grass in the air a few weeks prior. So far so good, I've avoided several of the pitfalls that I've fallen into before. I notice a line of cattle while driving back to the back pasture so I decide to check and see if there are any pigs feeding with them. I grab the rifle, flip the scope on and nothing, turn it on/off several times and still nothing. I unplug the DVR and repeat the process and still nothing. The scope won't power up no matter what I try. I go to put it back in the case and grab it by the scope and feel the scope slide on the piccatinny rail as I'm putting it in the case. What next?

Then as I'm driving home, it hit's me. What if I've fried the scope somehow with the battery from the DVR? You talk about a sick feeling in your gut I had one. When I got home, I pulled and reinstalled the batteries on the scope, and mounted the remote start/stop cable for the DVR and everything is fine now. But it sure had me worried for a few minutes Friday night. BTW, I'll get that boar yet, just hoping it's on video when I do.

Last edited:

FrankT

Destin FL
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Always a next time...

Drift

LSB Member
That first boar is gonna cost you like$300 a pound. :)
Congrats on getting the DVR. I'm sure you will get it worked out, it's not as complicated as a bass boat or anything.
I saw on the NOAA site that we are expected to get one of the rainiest winters ever. So I guess we need to get used to the rain. And bugs. And taller grass.

customcutter

LSB Member
LoneStarBoars Supporter
That first boar is gonna cost you like$300 a pound. :)
Congrats on getting the DVR. I'm sure you will get it worked out, it's not as complicated as a bass boat or anything.
I saw on the NOAA site that we are expected to get one of the rainiest winters ever. So I guess we need to get used to the rain. And bugs. And taller grass.
Anything, I've ever caught or shot was like $300/lb. It's the experience that's priceless. I had the Armasight DVR, but didn't like the fact that it didn't have sound, and also was only scope & DVR, or scope & external battery pack. Which I also bought. So I sent the Armasight back and bought this one instead.

Ratdog68

LSB Official Story Teller
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Ah yes... the learning curve with new gear/technology. Can be most frustrating.

customcutter

LSB Member
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Hopefully, I'm getting near the summit, and starting to run out of things that can go wrong. It reminded of when I was about 6 years old and my dad said, "son, if it wasn't for bad luck, we wouldn't have any luck at all." I've often thought that was true over the years.

Chopperdrvr

Deep East Tx
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Hopefully, I'm getting near the summit, and starting to run out of things that can go wrong. It reminded of when I was about 6 years old and my dad said, "son, if it wasn't for bad luck, we wouldn't have any luck at all." I've often thought that was true over the years.
If you're like me, you never run out of new and innovative ways to screw things up.