IR vehicle lighting

Wassman

Houston, Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I am considering adding some IR lighting to the night hunt rig. I have a few spots in my hunting grounds where extra illumination is needed to navigate so I don't run the rig into a ditch or off a narrow bridge. Currently I turn off the NV and switch on the headlights to navigate these spots, but it would be nice just to flip another switch that controls IR lighting and say dark.

I have considered just taping a IR flashlight to the side mirror but that just seams too much of a hassle to mess with tape every time I prepare for a night hunt. I also considered using one of those magnetic flashlight holders with a flexible neck, but then again seems kinda hokie.

I came across this and it peaked my interest. But found limited information on the unit, I got bits and pieces of others mounting them on their vehicles but nothing solid. From the looks of it I would have to also buy a 12v to 24v converter to power the unit and figure out the wiring since is uses a control box which is not included. Seems like a project that I can tackle and for some reason fudge it up I am only out a couple of bills.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/221405999563...witem=&vxp=mtr

Is this a project I should tackle or am I just wasting my time and money?

rgilbert

LSB Active Member
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Looks good Wass. That's a lot cheaper than the units I have been looking at. Get one and BRD and I will come see if we can be of any assistance.

Wassman

Houston, Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Well bad news on the light bar. I found some reports that they have a reputation of being inop right out of the box. I don't want to go through all that work for a unit that is broke and since it is eBay getting my money back would be a long drawn out process.

Someone pointed me to these.
http://www.larsonelectronics.com/p-...ts-stud-mount-9-42v-750nm-850nm-or-940nm.aspx

This is looking much easier and I can choose the wavelength and type of beam. Not to mention I can just replace my fog lamps using the existing wiring. Really a plug and play unit.

TEXASLAWMAN

Lone Star Boars Owner
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I put IR lights on my truck at first but they end up acting like head lights and blinding you to everything out of their coverage. It's very rare that I need extra ir light to drive but if I do I just hold a small IR flashlight out the window or sunroof.

Wassman

Houston, Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I put IR lights on my truck at first but they end up acting like head lights and blinding you to everything out of their coverage. It's very rare that I need extra ir light to drive but if I do I just hold a small IR flashlight out the window or sunroof.

Yep there are only two spots both are a narrow bridge crossing. Have about 6 inches on each side of my truck. To run off the bridge would probably result in flipping my truck. I tried holding my ir but it just didn't seem ideal since I couldn't flood the entire front of the rig or the right side.

I do see your point and being too bright was one of my concerns. I am thinking if I stick with a ir that stays in the 940 wavelength that will cut down on the intensity a bit. What you think?

Wassman

Houston, Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I am not too worried about range since I just need 25 yards or so. It says 3 watts which I have no idea what that means in mA terms. Any guesses?

BigRedDog

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Flood, 940, in black would be my first choice

one set dead center on the bumper should do it.

TEXASLAWMAN

Lone Star Boars Owner
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Do you have a sunroof? My flashlight covers the most from holding it up there. It would still have to be very dark for me to use it. I would think holding the light out a window would be enough to navigate a bridge but that's just my opinion.

Wassman

Houston, Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
No sunroof. It just isn't a bridge these areas are pretty much thick tree tunnels well looks more like a cave when approaching it with nv. Typical east Texas brush.

Itsazonik

Cape Coral, FL
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Don't they make night vision glass? Spend $100k and never worry again

Shooter

Bedford, Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I have driven a lot at night with IR. Mostly in other countries. Take my advise Wassman-turn your headlights on if you are as close as you mention. About 6 months ago I dumped my GMC head first in a Raven. I thought was in another location. About 8 grand later and it is back in the field. I was running dual 14's, which I have done many times. Obviously not paying the attention that I should have been. Even had I had IR lights I was looking at the side and not straight. Fortunately the farmer had a huge tractor and pulled me right out. Now when this happens I use the lights, I still drive at night with NV, only mostly on property that I have covered during the day.

When we dumped one overseas we just hooked another humvee up and pulled it out, plus the IR available is MUCH more powerful than we have access to here.

Use the lights if you are in one of those two areas that you need them.

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Or I use my fog lamps that are under the bumper

hdfireman

Blackstone Arms
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I am trying to work with a company for IR vehicle lighting. I am waiting to hear back from them on what styles, sizes and pricing they are willing to do. I soon as I get something worked out I will post here.

TEXASLAWMAN

Lone Star Boars Owner
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter

BigRedDog

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I am trying to work with a company for IR vehicle lighting. I am waiting to hear back from them on what styles, sizes and pricing they are willing to do. I soon as I get something worked out I will post here.
Thanks for doing this.

I have been trying to interest the 'hunting show' suppliers in IR for years and they just look at me

let ME know what you find and carry for sale

850 and 940 please

sjb67

Mineral Wells, Texas
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I am new to all of this so forgive the question but what about the go lights with the IR Filter that the game wardens run over here.