Into the HEAD COLD with T-Bone Outfitters

Afalex1

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Sorry TLM. I had to steal/spoof your title. It fits my story so well.

I have been fighting off a head cold/sinus infection for the last few days and started to feel a little better so I decided I need to get off the couch and shoot some hogs. The weather has been bitter cold here lately with freezing rain, sleet, and a little snow. The high yesterday was 22* with overcast skies and a low of 19* at night. The wind was out of the northeast at about 10 mph, which is slow for around here. We started our hunt at 9 pm and made our rather slow drive to the first spot. The road was still covered with ice in spots and didn't allow us to go beyond 40 mph. Our normal 15 min drive was about 25 minutes.

We made it to the first spot and crept around the border of the property. We didn't spot anything right off the bat so we left. As we were heading out a younger lone boar started to cross the county road in front of us so we stopped. He must have heard me cough in the truck because he alerted. He continued on his route until he got to the fence prior to the road. Then he started to parallel the road. We had to move off the road because a car was coming behind us and the car spooked the hog to the next county. We stopped to scan the orchard one more time and spotted one lone hot spot that was barely moving.

We went to our parking spot and made the stalk. He was about 200 yards away and we slowly made our way across the frozen crunchy ground under our feet. We closed the gap to about 50 yards and setup for the shot. There were three shooters so this boar didn't stand a chance. 3, 2, 1, Boom! He ran about 10 yards after being hit with a 90 grain gold dot 6.8, a 122 grain Tulammo HP 7.62x39, and a 70 grain 5.56. Two shots landed on his shoulder and one in the neck. His weight, by tape, was 220 pounds. He actually had a good set of cutters too.

We moved on to the big waste pecan pile and didn't see any hogs. We made the slow ice covered drive to a very large and open wheat field that is bordered by the Red River. I haven't seen hogs in this field in a long time, but the landowner has been baiting the area for deer so I figured the hogs had moved in too. I was right. We spotted two smaller boars under the feeder about 700 yards from the road. We drove the first 400 yards then started the stalk. This field had been plowed prior to the freeze so it was like walking on an ice covered moon. I almost busted my butt twice.

We get to 60 yards and the each boar had alerted once from the sound of us walking on the crunchy ground. Because of this I figured it was time to quit walking and shoot. I lowered my rifle, settled the dot and started the count. 3, 2, 1, boom! The left hog dropped on the spot from Dave's 7.62x39 AR. Hordan and I both shot the hog on the left and it took off at a sprint. I let it go in hopes of Jordan picking it off since I was the middle man and I didn't want to seeing to far to my right. Jordan shot twice and the hog was still up and running, but with a limp. I pulled my dot ahead of the pig and let one fly and he went down.

Then Dave said "I'm jammed, and one is coming straight to us!" I swing my scope to the left and see the hog he had shot running directly to me. I pumped two in him and he went down at 10 yards. You can see the neck exit wound, which is from the first shot.

The pictures aren't the best because i was whooped by the end of the night and wasn't thinking about much besides my bed.

Overall, it was a short hunt and we went 3 for 3. I am paying for it today though. My head is plugged up and I feel like I have earplugs in. Oh the wonderfulness of a winter cold. Hope you all enjoyed the story. I'm worn out now so its nap time.

FrankT

Destin FL
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Loved it! great hunt and story...Those were some nice cutters! With 3 of you they did not have a chance!

Afalex1

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Feeling better today, but still not 100%. Still feeling better than those 3 hogs.

Shooter

Bedford, Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
You keep this up and I will have to come back up there, and try out my 10.5 inch 5.56 SBR with 62 grain Barnes triple Shock Black hills. Does 3100 out of a 16" barrel. I suspect 26/2700 out of the SBR. Have a friend in east Tx that uses that round in the same SBR and he loves them.

Nice shooting.

Afalex1

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Sounds like it would work.

Chopperdrvr

Deep East Tx
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Great job, especially when feeling that bad. Hope you get back to 100% soon.

Afalex1

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Thanks for the "get wells" everyone. I feel about 90% today which means I should be 100% tomorrow. Just in time for another big hunt. Wish us luck!

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Get your Z-Paks from Jenn,,,glad you are feeling better

Afalex1

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Frank the only Z packs I get from her are in the form of words of encouragement. To others they sound like derogatory phrases, such as, "quit being a baby" or "are you done whining" and her favorite "you said you are too sick to do (insert house chore here) and now you are going hunting. Too drive me crazy!"

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
OH Man we have to get Jenn to get the cure for you instead of the suffering...LOL OK I am going to stay out of this wedded bliss story!

Afalex1

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Haha. Its all a joke. She brought me cold meds, cough drops, and gun magazines. She takes care off me.

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
LOL, I bet it is great married to an RN! That hunts too, what a deal!

Aspp

Central California
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Great story, and get better soon!

TEXASLAWMAN

Lone Star Boars Owner
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
At least your wife just gripes about the hunting. Mine was fine with it until the baby. Now today she drops a bomb saying anytime I go hunting I should use the money from my gun money stash for gas food ect. That's already what I use for bullets and such. Adding in gasoline and I'm screwed that's not even one tank!

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
UH OH, Paradise is ruined!

Chopperdrvr

Deep East Tx
SUS VENATOR CLUB
'Tis the season for wives dropping bombs. Mine informed me that from know until further notice (translates to a "long time") for every dollar I spend on my guns and "hunting stuff", I have to spend three dollars on house projects. And...I have to actually do the projects, not just plan them. Oh well, it was a good run while it lasted and I have a pretty good stash built up. Now where are those darn hogs.

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I am glad I am OLD, wife just shakes her head and says there he goes again..too old to change his ways now...LOL

Chopperdrvr

Deep East Tx
SUS VENATOR CLUB
I'm old too, but my wife still hangs on to that fantasy that she can change me. Wait....she has been able to change me. Never mind.