I want a new bolt gun

Itsazonik

Cape Coral, FL
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
so were all going back and forth about deer hunting so i figured i would throw this out there.

I'm in the market for a new bolt gun. im used to hunting at longer ranges but the place i am going to be deer hunting for a long time to come doesn't need something that far. i have AR's that work great at short range but i also want a bolt gun or 2 for when a few friends come with me. most of the stands we use or the trails we walk never present a shot over 75 yards. and thats long. we have use of 5 stands that have a long shot of about 30 yards. at this range my 6.8 spc is perfect as is my 338 spectre. but i have friends that will only hunt with a bolt gun and sometimes i like to use a bolt gun. im thinking maybe a .243. what else is good at close range that won't destroy small florida deer. if i hand over my 338 win mag it will just blow apart a small deer even if i load it light. i could just get a simple 223 but that is boring.

pruhdlr

Cantonment,Fla.
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Does it REALLY have to be a bolt gun ?? No single shots included ??

Anyway ....what about a Rem Mod7 or a Ruger M77 MKII Compact like mine in the pic. Check out the chamberings...there are some great ones. With a little tinkering mine will shoot <3/4" at 100yds. With scope and rings mine is still <7lbs and 31 inches long. --- pruhdlrDSC00803.JPG

Attachments

• DSC00863.JPG
    DSC00863.JPG
    94.2 KB · Views: 5

Itsazonik

Cape Coral, FL
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I'm not big on single shot guns. I have a T/C encore that's a muzzle loader right now. I also have a 375 H&H barrel for it just for fun. I was actually looking at the ruger American for a .243. For the price of a MKII or a model 7 I can get a 308 and a 243

FrankT

Destin FL
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Ruger 44 carbine, they will love it!

Itsazonik

Cape Coral, FL
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I was looking at a couple 45 colt and 357 lever actions. I have so much brass for those

Itsazonik

Cape Coral, FL
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
So I got an offer to trade my P220 for a Rossi 357 lever action. Looks like it will be my new short range rifle tomorrow

7040961F-0DAB-4257-89DE-CF609033B4F0-1669-0000012E00026F5E_zps818ea2a2.jpg

97CC59D3-C9BB-4BE4-9ECD-AA61D4E5371C-1669-0000012DFC28275E_zps7b1fffd8.jpg

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
nice looking

Itsazonik

Cape Coral, FL
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
it has a 20" barrel and from what im reading it should give me some great velocity. ill work up some solid cast loads until i can find some FTX bullets for the 357

Afalex1

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Good pick. I was actually going to suggest a 357 or 44 mag lever gun. A 357 lever gun is on my list of guns to buy.

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I had to get a Ruger 44 carbine, I thought the 357 might be too light.

Itsazonik

Cape Coral, FL
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Sure histo, l trade you for a pvs-14 nv scope. Lol. Let me know when you ship it

Ratdog68

LSB Official Story Teller
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I was also going to suggest a lever action with a handgun caliber... but, I kept reading. I want one in .44 mag to go with my Ruger Super Blackhawk 3-screw.

Aspp

Central California
SUS VENATOR CLUB
I have a 44mag carbine (one of the semi-auto rugers), I love it. The 357 though will do better out of a 18" barrel than the 44mag. Get ya some dies and toss a bit of blue dot under some HPs and have fun!!

Itsazonik

Cape Coral, FL
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Dies I have. I have been loading 357 for my taurus snub for years. I have about 1000 loaded rounds of .38 and .357 and over 3000 pieces of brass between the 2. Now all I need is a .357 single action to go with them