I need your help guys. I need a good sand bag for the range or the stand.

Capt Rick Hiott

The HAM SLAMMA!
Im looking for a real nice sand bag to take to the range or hunting stand for my .460.

Im not looking for any junk,,I want good high end quality!! (Thick leather)

Can any body help me? Whats out there? I lust cut both sides out of the Caldwell bag I just bought......This .460 is bustin ass!

FrankT

Destin FL
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
LoneStarBoars Supporter
wow, that is kickin ass, poor Caldwell. I am betting commercial leather will not hold up, take the caldwell to a Leathersmith and let him make one like it w remnants.

Chopperdrvr

Deep East Tx
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Rick, you do know that you aren't supposed to point the gun AT the bag, just rest it on the top. :p

BigRedDog

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
put carpet on a block of wood

Capt Rick Hiott

The HAM SLAMMA!
Ha-Ha-Ha,,,thanks for the link Brian.

The carpet on the wood might catch fire...

BigRedDog

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Ha-Ha-Ha,,,thanks for the link Brian.

The carpet on the wood might catch fire...
no, it might melt a bit, but this is the only thing that will actually work, sorry.

everything else will only slow down or resist time to destruction.

BigRedDog

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
It will for a while, then it too will cut through

you can use the leather bags for a lot of things, just not long term abuse by a magnum revolver jetting gasses

BigRedDog

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
wont hurt my feelings for you to try it!

just move the gun back about two inches so that the cylinder gap is not directly on top of the lower part of the bag

Capt Rick Hiott

The HAM SLAMMA!
But,,,,,I get more stability when I push it forward into the bag..........(You know that)

Capt Rick Hiott

The HAM SLAMMA!
Hey,,,,I called and talked to "protektormodel" and they bent over backwards to help me. Even said that they would make me a custom bag if I needed one. They also said that they would send me extra leather to raise the bag if needed AND some scrap for the top of it.......

GREAT customer service!!!
http://protektormodel.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=1

Hey,,,If I cut this bag,,,Ill get out the Jig-Saw and do the wood and carpet trick RedDog. Im sure I can make one to custom fit my gun...Thanks for the tip!!

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
It has an insert for a pistol.

DaveABQ

Albuquerque, NM
Hate any type of front bag, also my Caldwell sits in the closet. I use a Hart front test and squeeze bags in the rest.

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Well I got the one I linked to above and it seems to be fine and has an adapter for pistols too, I was using a caldwell bag rest but it is never the right height so I made some bean bags out of socks to adjust, this rest seems easier to use.

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Good prices too, let us know how it works out

Capt Rick Hiott

The HAM SLAMMA!
So far so good. Ive used it on the range with good results. I just wish it was about a 1/2" taller.