Hunting Videos

Status
Not open for further replies.

FrankT

Destin FL
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
LoneStarBoars Supporter
You use a shooting stick? I carry the trigger stick, it really helps. Also a sling can stabilize your shots if rigged correctly.

Brian Shaffer

Hog Hunter
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Shooting sticks were leaning up against the truck where I left them as I was pulling out the rifle so that they would be handy to pick up and take with me...only they stayed at the truck. I realized that mistake about 700 yards, a gate, and a fence cross later.

When I returned, the tuck was still stable.

Last edited:

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
LOL, well at least the truck did not fall over while you were hunting, I leave something at the truck everytime!

Afalex1

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Shooting after or with an elevated heart rate is tough. Shooting sticks or a rest is nearly a must. Other options are to practice doing it. Jumping jacks, push ups, or pull ups and then shoot. It will help you learn to control your breathing and heart before you squeeze the trigger. It is a hard skill to master. I know I haven't gotten it down yet.

Yes you will look like a wierdo at the range doing a workout then shooting. LOL.

Too bad about losing the hog. You will make up for on the next hunt with an extra you didn't think you hit. Good luck.

PRyan1877

Roselle, Illinois
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Next time will probably be better, don't let it get you down.

Last edited:

ZenArchery

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Is there something blocking your illuminator? Mine makes a fairly perfect circle? I was surprised at 150 they were still difficult to illuminate .

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Well at least you tried, looks like it was just over your target?

RattlesnakeDan

San Antonio Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I almost had a video today. Sitting in tree stand last night about 1/2 hr before dark can hear hogs fighting and on the move. Climbed down and went where I thought they might go, Big boar I missed at 30 yds last week, trying to breed sow and running back and forth picking fights with every pig in the field. Problem was I can't hunt that side of the fence, so I got close to the fence line and started grunting, I started to video on phone but not realizing the boar was coming to me I stuffed it in my pocket still running.. He busted through on my side, Now I have him running at 15 yds, I have to get him in the scope, and it's tree, hog, tree, hog, tree hog and then I shot him running quartering away right behind the shoulder with my 45-70. He did a nose plunge and started pushing dirt and amazingly just kept pushing and screaming. No time for a 2nd shot. I knew where he was headed, back to bedding area. I ran around and heard him, labored breathing and grunting in the bush. Unwisely I went in after him, 10 to 15' tall ragweed, difficult to see more that 2 feet in most places. He kept moving and finally I lost him and it got dark. Spent the night in my blind and looked for him today, no luck finding him. Crazy thick bedding area was tore up. it was hands and knees at times. Not recommended but a good adventure. Maybe I can find his skull if the buzzards can get in there to get him. No good eating but would have been good pics.

Shooter

Bedford, Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Brian

Loved the music. looks like you needed one of those cow discuizes. Like the indians did with the buffalo;).

Dan.

45-70, surprised he could move after that!!

Brian Shaffer

Hog Hunter
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
The music is instrumental version of "Radiator" by Lifeguard Nights. Youtube has a whole library of music that can be had for use in videos and this was one that was about the right length that sounded good to me as well. The longer version with lyrics is here...

Yeah Shooter, the guy I sometimes hunt with, Ken, and I discussed such a disguise, but he thought he should be the head!

Funny thing about the cattle...with the lights off, I was a creature of which to be wary. Later when I turned on my headlamp, 40 or more showed up and followed me around like I was their best buddy.

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I notice in antelope hunting a lot of people wear a antelope hat, or hide behind an antelope plastic cutout, wonder if that works w hog/cattle, carry a bag with cow dung in it for scent cover.

Brian Shaffer

Hog Hunter
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
TLM, I wondered about that. I can't tell if the cattle are actually protecting the hogs, or if the cattle are doing their normal routine and the hogs have just placed themselves accordingly in the group. This herd has calves and so they are going to be somewhat vigilant about the calves. I wonder if the hogs are seen as being like calves to the cows? I don't know, but they do seem to get along very well together.

On this particular property, I look for the cattle first and then look to see if the hogs are with them. Either the hogs are amongst the cattle or very close by when I have seen them.

RattlesnakeDan

San Antonio Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
They are waiting for a cow to fall over so they can pounce on it and have a hangyburger I think. I see that too, last night big boar trying to mount sow the calves were right next to him mounting each other like a big happy family. Also I inspected a little closer being curious about this on another property and discovered the hogs were turning over the cow pies and eating the bugs underneath. Maybe chowing down on dung beatles too. And they were worrying about feeding corn with diesel to hogs they wanted to eat. Ha

histopicker

St. George, Utah
LoneStarBoars Supporter
They are waiting for a cow to fall over so they can pounce on it and have a hangyburger I think. I see that too, last night big boar trying to mount sow the calves were right next to him mounting each other like a big happy family. Also I inspected a little closer being curious about this on another property and discovered the hogs were turning over the cow pies and eating the bugs underneath. Maybe chowing down on dung beatles too. And they were worrying about feeding corn with diesel to hogs they wanted to eat. Ha
I have to laugh at this. You know Rattlesnake, dung beetles and cow dung are organic, well the beetles are, the dung might contain antibiotics and growth hormones.

Status
Not open for further replies.