Hunting cedar key Florida

Itsazonik

Cape Coral, FL
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
A friend and I are in cedar key Florida this morning at a hunting outfitter hog hunting. As of now the sun isn't up but the hogs are moving. I can hear them back in the trees moving. Going to be a good day.

Afalex1

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Good luck! Which of your many rifles came along for the trip?

Itsazonik

Cape Coral, FL
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Took the 6.8 and I love that more and more.

Itsazonik

Cape Coral, FL
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
So here's the story. It was a place called tiger land outfitters. I was in a ground blind and my friend was in a raised blind. I had my 6.8 18"*** shooting 110 vmax. Feeder was about 30 yards out and there were 3 trails in each direction.

The sun wasn't even up yet when the hogs hit the feeder. I forgot my green spot light in the truck so I couldn't take a shot yet. Wasn't too long after that I heard a shot ring out from across the property. The shot scared the hogs over to me. I had just enough light to see and I took a shot on a small boar. The vmax did it's job and he hit the ground DRT. The hogs scattered.

After waiting about 20 minutes I heard a second shot so I knew they would be back. There was a larger sow in the group but she wouldn't present a shot . So I took a 50 yard shot on a white spotted hog that just looked cool. Hit the ground and did the dirt dance. Called the driver to pick up me and my hogs.

When they showed up I found out my friend hot one that ran 30 yards and dropped. His second shot was low and busted the leg of his second hog. We drove around for 40 minutes looking for it. Finally saw it on a trail 60 yards out. I jumped out of the golf cart and got on scope. Waited to make sure it was the right hog. When it took a limped step I fired. Lung shot. It ran 30 feet and dropped.

It was a great hunt and a great place to go hunt. 3 shots and 3 hogs. I love this 6.8. I think next time I'll take the 458 socom and look for a big hog this time. At least the freezer will be full for now.

My hogs are the top one and bottom one. The second from the top, the gray one, is the one I had to finish off.

Itsazonik

Cape Coral, FL
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Almost completely severed the leg. The bone was broken clean through

Ratdog68

LSB Official Story Teller
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Congrats ! Love me an *** 6.8 rig !! Good job tracking down the wounded one and finishing it.

Itsazonik

Cape Coral, FL
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I was so amazed at how fast it could run with 3 legs. When we found it you could tell it was just done. It had nothing left to keep running

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Good job and pork in the freezer!

Chopperdrvr

Deep East Tx
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Nice hunt and congrats on the porkers in the freezer. Just a question though, why did you let your friend kill the big ones instead of you? Lol.

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Plus most places in FL like that have trophy fees and the smaller hogs taste better.

Itsazonik

Cape Coral, FL
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I shot the white spotted one because it just looked cool. This place does have trophy fees for over 100 pounds but I didn't care about that. The first one I took because he looked perfect size for my rotisserie.

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
over 100, damn they are tight, usually it is 150+ and or cutters

Chopperdrvr

Deep East Tx
SUS VENATOR CLUB
yea..I'm just ragging you. I'm hoping to get a small one that I can put on my smoker whole. Just don't get to go out that often.

Itsazonik

Cape Coral, FL
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Yeah, the 100 pound thing seemed lower than everyone else but they do 3 hogs for $200 if they are under 100 pounds. Was worth it since I lost my hunting spot. I'll wait till I find another one to go after something larger

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Hey it works, you got your pork and got to throw some 6.8 lead!

Itsazonik

Cape Coral, FL
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Yeah, those v-max bullets had me nervous but neither hog went farther than where they were shot. That 3rd one just didn't want to die. They were a little hot so I'll have to back the charge off a little but they worked well