Howdy, All. Sean Hall from McKinney/Chillicothe, TX.

LUTHER

I'll be there Oct. 19. Todd, I expect some directions (and I'll follow you....) So, question to the group:
.308 Ruger Scout Rifle, .300 Win Mag, AR or AK, or just .22-250 in the gut so they run away from the feeder and die?

TEXASLAWMAN

Lone Star Boars Owner
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Welcome brother! As you well know any of those will work with good shot placement! I would prefer the .308 or .300 win mag. And AR over the Ak if the AR is chambered in something larger than .223. As for the gut shots well I'm agains those for two reasons.

1). I prefer a quick death of the animal. Not into tourture.

2). Found too many now that have been shot before and survived. They are tough sob's. So unless you find the body it's not 100% dead.

P.S. I killed my first hog ever to start this addiction on Luther's land.

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Welcome Luther..Thanks for joining!!

Ratdog68

LSB Official Story Teller
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Welcome Luther... So? Are you claiming some responsibility for this TLM feller? LOL

Brian Shaffer

Hog Hunter
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
So, question to the group:
.308 Ruger Scout Rifle, .300 Win Mag, AR or AK, or just .22-250 in the gut so they run away from the feeder and die?

Given the current political climate and the amount of loudly spoken complaining that has gone on, especially for some of the newer or less popular calibers/ammo being in short supply, I would suggest traditionally common calibers. When shortages do occur, they seem to be the ones that recover the quickest.

2). Found too many now that have been shot before and survived. They are tough sob's. So unless you find the body it's not 100% dead.

Shot a boar through the shoulder with a .45-70 at less than 100 yards, dropped in place, did the dirt dance, stilled, so I climbed out of the stand to claim my prize only to have him get up and run away...never did find him. He probably died soon enough, but with no body then no body count. I now wait longer before leaving the stand and had another hog get up after the dirt dance, but I was ready for him and a second shot nailed him to the ground about 10 yards from where he was "killed" the first time.

A buddy of mine big on the notion of "bring enough gun" had a deer under the feeder at 45 yards when he shot it in the leg with a 12 ga. slug. Needless to say, the deer ran off and the feeder now lists a bit to the side, the leg just bent some from the impact. You can't bring enough gun for a decent kill if you can't hit the intended target.

Ratdog68

LSB Official Story Teller
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Good friend of mine in Anchorage... brought him to Kotzebue to hunt caribou with my dad and me. His very first caribou... let rip from his .300 WinMag... and proceeded to blow the lower leg clean off that poor critter. It flung off like a broken bat at the ball park. His follow-up shot did the deed though.

LUTHER

Not into torture myself. Good point, Todd. Might as well stick with my .300wm. At least I can find ammo for that! Concern would be the rapid fire aspect in a large group, but then (see profile pic) I got 2 in the same herd with my slow bolt action .300.... And yes, TLM and I have known and hunted with each other for over 20 years, so I guess I have to claim him! Thanks for the replies, all!

Afalex1

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Welcome to the show. I hope you enjoy this forum as much as the rest of us.

TEXASLAWMAN

Lone Star Boars Owner
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter

Afalex1

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
maybe he meant October 5th for the meet and greet shoot??