How I spent Memorial Day

Chopperdrvr

Deep East Tx
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Almost a year ago, I started collecting parts and pieces for what I have been calling my ultimate hunting rifle.

CMT billet receivers, *** 18” melonite 6.8 SPC barrel and super bolt, BRT covert comp, Ace skeleton stock, MI SS II fore end, Wilson Combat adjustable gas block, PSA NiB Bolt Carrier, Redfield Revolution 4x12 scope in P.E.P.R. mount.

Once I got everything I wanted, I decided to try my hand at Hydrographic printing so that I could camo part of the rifle. I could have taken it to someone to have it done, but I love to try new things and I figure that if someone else can do it, so can I. I started out practicing on a couple magazines since if I screwed them up, I wouldn’t be out anything expensive.

On Memorial Day, we were spending a quiet day at home, so I decided it was time to spend some time assembling my new toy. I ended up finishing almost everything and am now ready for the range. I am proud of how everything came out and the way it looks. Now, if it shoots the way it is supposed to in my mind, I will actually have my ultimate hunting rifle and “go to” gun for most of what I hunt.

FrankT

Destin FL
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Hey that looks great!

Ratdog68

LSB Official Story Teller
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I'm in lubb !! Just needs a coat of clear to preserve all that hard work. I forget, dura or ceracoat.

Vance Goodson

Hunting is my Drug!
LoneStarBoars Supporter
That looks great. And nothing will ever mean more to you than a DIY project! Great job.

Chopperdrvr

Deep East Tx
SUS VENATOR CLUB
I'm in lubb !! Just needs a coat of clear to preserve all that hard work. I forget, dura or ceracoat.
It has three coats of a flat clear coat. It's neither dura or ceracoat, its a urethane coating similar to automotive coatings.

Ratdog68

LSB Official Story Teller
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I'd say you're GTG. Nice work there Kemosabe !

Chopperdrvr

Deep East Tx
SUS VENATOR CLUB
I planned on going to the range today, but got rained out. Hope to make it tomorrow.

theblakester

Got a black belt in keeping it real.
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
That looks really good man. High five

rgilbert

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Great job Chopper. I hope it shoots as good as it looks.

BigRedDog

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Any after action reports?

Chopperdrvr

Deep East Tx
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Sorry. The range was closed the next day, then I had to leave for work. I hope to get to the range soon and will report the results. Besides, now I have another toy to try out.

BigRedDog

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
a new toy????

Chopperdrvr

Deep East Tx
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Yeah, yesterday my wife surprised me with a 4" Kimber Eclipse .45acp. Can't wait to go shoot it.

Chopperdrvr

Deep East Tx
SUS VENATOR CLUB
I finally made it to the range today and started the long journey of trying to find the perfect load. It was a cool 82 degrees when I started and only got warmer from there, so I may not have been as patient as I would normally be. The bottom line is: the rifle functioned great. A few things need to be tweaked, but all in all, I was very pleased. I had one failure to feed, and one failure of the bolt to hold open on the last round. Both failures were with Fed. 90 gr GD. I have an adjustable gas block, but elected not to do any adjustment until I settle on my primary load. The first photo is with some SSA 110gr SPH rounds I have had around for a while. These have been very consistent in my other *** rifles, so I checked them first. Ejection is around 5 o'clock, with no signs of pressure.

Edit. All rifle targets were 100 yds, pistol target 30 ft.

The next target is from a batch of NEW SSA 110gr SPH. At least that is the way they were marketed, but when I received them, the box is labeled 110gr Soft Point. I don't know if there has been a change in the bullets or anything else, but the results aren't the same.

The next round I tried was the Fed 90gr GD that was available last year. Unfortunately, TLM did not have such great luck with them on hogs and I didn't have very good results with the 115gr fusion which is similar in construction. One thing for sure, Fed rounds have been very accurate in my rifles.

I forgot the ammo that I have the most hope for as my hunting round this year (SSA 110gr TSX Barnes) I will try to get back to the range before I have to go back to work and maybe try a few reloads. I also tried out some home rolled Nos.115 OTM rounds, but this barrel did not like them as much as my 16" ***.

I also had to shoot the before mentioned gift from my wife (Kimber Eclipse 4"). Man! Now I know why I waited so long for that gun. I shoots like a dream. Very controllable and more accurate than I am. I shot 4 different types of ammo from 185gr to 230gr with not a single hiccup. It really likes the 185gr Hornady Critical Defense.

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Looks good, nice to hit the range, all your reloads? I have used the factory SSA Barnes 110TSX and love it

rgilbert

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Looks good Chopper. Try the SSA 110 Tactical Accubonds. They work great in my rifle.

Itsazonik

Cape Coral, FL
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I love that camo. I have been wanting to hydro dip my 338 spectre but haven't had a chance to do so yet