How high off the ground are you when hog hunting?

rob072770

Lewisville NC
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
instead of calling the daughter to shoot? I luv ya Man!
Daughter was at work. That why she was so made getting up,early with no luck.

BigRedDog

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Okay BRD, what has this information netted you?
It seems as though many of us do indeed hunt from an elevated position. This has the advantage of looking at the tops of animals in tall grass that you would otherwise not see. But the fixed nature of the blinds can be a problem if you cannot hunt where the animals are that night. Field of view can also be a great thing.

A blind can be a bit slower paced for a while but this is offset by being MUCH more comfortable in wet windy cold weather. Also, the snakes are not as much of a concern. Still need to wear snake boots to the blind and while recovering game not set aside for our feathered friends.

The high rack makes a lot sense as it has many of the height advantages without sacrificing mobility. Mobility is actually it's strongest point.

So, I think my budget will allow for a single seat tripod to be added to my bag of tricks. Only semi portable, but better than moving the Pig Palace, while not as good as a high rack truck.

What do you think?

Last edited:

FrankT

Destin FL
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I have been thinking of a shorter single seat tripod, 6-8' and then mounting wheels on it to pull manually or by truck/atv, I use military camo netting as a skirt around the top for concealment.