How high off the ground are you when hog hunting?

BigRedDog

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Tripods, box blinds, tree stands, high rack trucks, golf cart, ghillie suit crawling on your tummy?

or do you even helicopter?

Just wondered what most of us do when hunting.

Wassman

Houston, Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Depends on the property.

If it is thick brush with small clearings I opt for traditional blinds that are off the ground for better view over bushes and tall grass. Mine are 5'-10' off the ground.

If it is large pasture land I prefer a cart but a truck will do too.

Last edited:

FrankT

Destin FL
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I have 5'-12' blinds or I am on the ground

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Where are your feet TLM...lol

Vern1

Pettytown, TX
SUS VENATOR CLUB
As I replace them, I am going modular.
I build a 8' tall modular base out of 3" angle iron with lighter angle iron ladder attached.
All of my blinds are on skids that drop right into the modular base.
Most of them are 4x8 for two people but one if them is 4x4 single person blind with matching 7' tall base.
I have a set of forks that attach to the bucket on my Kubota to move the base and blind around as needed.
I can drive up to a stand, slide the forks right under the blind and lift if off and move it where I want it.
After I move the blind, I grab the base and put it in place, then level it on 16" square concrete pavers.
After the base is secure, I grab the blind and set it right on the tower.
Makes moving them easy and a one person job and an 8' lift is a chip shot with the Kubota.

I do have a favorite box blind though.
It's a fairly plush 4x8 two person blind that's insulted and carpeted with office chairs and big windows for night vision use.
It's 18' to the floor of the box blind so you are looking out windows that are 21-22 feet in the air.
You can see a long way from up there and it gets your scent cone way up there so it is less detectable by the hogs.

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Nice setup Vern!

ppapago

Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Usually on my feet, but I prefer riding shotgun in a helicopter;)

Do not hunt hogs at night much from a blind. I get to lazy and end up playing on the ipad and not paying attention.

theblakester

Got a black belt in keeping it real.
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
If I were to build a blind set up for stationary hog hunting, ideally it would be something like this to keep my scent above their noses for the most part.
I do have a favorite box blind though.
It's a fairly plush 4x8 two person blind that's insulted and carpeted with office chairs and big windows for night vision use.
It's 18' to the floor of the box blind so you are looking out windows that are 21-22 feet in the air.
You can see a long way from up there and it gets your scent cone way up there so it is less detectable by the hogs.
Usually though, when I'm hunting from a stationary position, it's wherever they're showing up on game camera. Sometimes that means a pop up blind, sometimes that's a box blind on the ground, sometimes it's from an elevated position.

Afalex1

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
However high my truck seat is or the distance my eyeballs are from the ground. I hunt lots of open pasture so driving and walking is the name of the game.

DaveABQ

Albuquerque, NM
I have an elevated blind, but only 3 feet to keep the snakes and stuff out and so I have a good angle on my back feeder which is at a step angle 35 yards away. That feeder I setup for archery.

I'm up in a little hill, about 30' higher than my front feeder which is at 70 yards.

Brian Shaffer

Hog Hunter
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Tonight, I will be about 13' up, but I hunt a little of everything from about 0-15' feet. You hunt what works where you are and how you can hunt. I like elevation to see further, but I like ground mobility to see more areas. Tonight, I will probably leave the stand and walk to other parts of the property 2 or 3 times, unless there is just a lot of traffic where I am. It can really vary quite a bit.

rgilbert

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
I'm 15 feet at eye level. My feeder is 100 yards down a hill. The blind is 6x6 all sealed up with Deer View windows and doors. Seven foot tall inside front to 6 1/2 feet in the back. Two office chairs and a Black Cat heater. A funnel with a hose into a five gallon bucket buried into the ground for those times you just can't wait. It is set up on the edge of an old hay pasture. I can shoot out to 300 yards to my right. 200 to my left and 100 to the front and rear. BRD refers to it as the Pig Palace!

rob072770

Lewisville NC
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
My second floor bathroom window netted me a nice doe this winter.

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Rob, I hope you warned those in the house you were live firing inside the house...LOL

rob072770

Lewisville NC
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Rob, I hope you warned those in the house you were live firing inside the house...LOL
After seeing Doe in the field next to my house as I ran up stairs I told wife it was going to happen. I was using suppressor so not very loud. My daughter was mad as she had spent several early morning waiting for the deer. I shot right at dusk.

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
instead of calling the daughter to shoot? I luv ya Man!

81police

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
6'-12' tower stands positioned between 100-160 yards out. Great field of view for west tex