Hornady 120sst in .270 winchester.

pruhdlr

Cantonment,Fla.
SUS VENATOR CLUB
These bullets expand extremely fast at the 6.8SPC velocities. I would think that they would expand too fast and not penetrate adaquately at the 270Win velocities unless you wanted to drop them down quite a bit. --- pruhdlr

histopicker

St. George, Utah
LoneStarBoars Supporter
These bullets expand extremely fast at the 6.8SPC velocities. I would think that they would expand too fast and not penetrate adaquately at the 270Win velocities unless you wanted to drop them down quite a bit. --- pruhdlr
This is what I am looking for. At 6.8 velocity's this bullet is giving through and through shots on hogs. I want explosive performance in the hog with little over- penetration. Besides I am getting tired of buying this bullet for the .270, this bullet for the 6.8, these bullets for the 06 and different ones for the 300. you get the picture. Keeping velocity's down in the .270 will not be that difficult but I think it will be an excellent long range varmint round at higher velocity's. A 120gr sst at 3200-3300fps would carry up quite nicely I believe.

Last edited:

pruhdlr

Cantonment,Fla.
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Carefull what you wish for.

At 2500fps from a 6.8 there seems to be allot of reports that the bullet does not exit(unsure what size hog). On deer,the 6.8/120SST does quite a bit of meat damage. Soooooooo...........This bullet at another 700fps.......?.......yeah,I'd say "explosive performance".

This bullet at 3300fps has an excellent B.C. It will shoot extremely flat. At 150yds it just might cut a yote in half,especially if it clips a rib going in. --- pruhdlr

histopicker

St. George, Utah
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Yesser, I agree with you 100% and the .270 is notorious for destroying venison. That is why the 150gr round was made available at reduced velocity's for a while. When this happened, sales of the 150gr rounds "fell off" to the point that they were removed from the market. Anyway, what does it hurt to play around a little with this load. For Mule deer I use my 30-06 and elk get the 300 mag, so my .270 is useless except for just playing with different loads. I should just get rid of the thing but I hate taking a beating on used gear. I have killed quite a few hogs with grossly over powered rounds, ie. 180gr rounds from my 300 win mag at 3150fps muzzle velocity. when I use these I go for head shots at around 100 yards so I don't blow up the meat. I would be doing the same with the .270. For summertime coyotes, there is no point in trying to save the fur. When the fur is prime I use my .223 bolt gun as it works very well if I stay off of bone. I imagine if you were to shoot say a whitetail in the shoulder with a 120gr sst at 3300fps it would destroy most of the animal. The hydrostatic shock would be enormous, probably causing blood shot meat a great distance from the actual wound.
Considering all the above, this round would be just for the heck of it. Something to do in a sense.

pruhdlr

Cantonment,Fla.
SUS VENATOR CLUB
I do not believe that you will get close to 3300fps from the 120gr. However 3200fps seems attainable. Possibly with H4831 or similar. Going fast with these bullets will be easier than going slow. Depending on how slow you want to go,take a look at using Trail Boss. Using that you could go waaaaaaay down below supersonic. I have been able to do some amazing things with that powder.

Also take a look at the Reloaders Nest site. They will probably have some loads using the <130gr bullets. The 130's and 150's are the "common" bullets for the 270Win but there are several others below the 120's. See the bullet manufacturers site for load info also.

Good Shootin' --- pruhdlr

histopicker

St. George, Utah
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I found out that Hornady offers a lite 120gr sst load in .270. Muzzle velocity is about 2500fps in this load. Might as well use the 6.8. Old Parker O. Ackley said 51gr of 4064 pushed a 120 grainer at 3250. This is the only load he listed for that bullet weight so I have to figure that was a max load. I am thinking IMR 4350 might be the right powder for this considering bullet weight vs. bore capacity. Probably will end up at about 3200 fps out of a 24 inch barrel. It will be a hot round and should still be carrying about 2400fps at 400 yards, could be a deadly long range antelope round.