honey hole is drying up !

West D

LSB Member
Still doing lots of hog hunting lately and found a honey hole ! Big wheat field that was plowed up around the outer edges. Not sure what they are eating where they plowed it but they were on it every night , even the coyotes were thick . I shot two coyotes while hog hunting in one night . We went out there last night and they were not out there yet . we were scanning with thermal and found them coming in from a distance. we decided the wind was perfect and started walking out to intercept them . we got to where we thought they were and never saw them again . All we could figure was they got in the tall wheat and we could not see them . Dang ! that is why they call it hunting !

West D

LSB Member
Honey hole one more time ! Farmer just called and reported hogs are back . they plowed around wheat and planted cotton around cut wheat . Farmer said for me and my buddy to get our butts back out with thermals and kill some pigs . they were going down rows of planted cotton and eating the seeds . He is pissed . first no rain then hogs eating high dollar cotton seed out of the ground . just think how bad it would have been if we had not killed what we did earlier this year. We are going out late tonight and see what happens . will give a report with pics ! I hope .

jglass

LSB Member
HOGs have disappeared from my lease now. Not even a picture on my trail camera. Deer have gone as well. From November to New years I saw hogs on almost every hunt. I even passed up killable shots. After things slowed I started burying the corn and next day the corn was dug up, I assumed by hogs. last night I discovered foxes dig up buried bait.

I think the cold weather did something to the hogs, drove them closer to the Gulf and warm water. Hunting seems to get slower everyday. Oh well, I have been through this before.

RattlesnakeDan

San Antonio Texas
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
One things for certain, things change!

jglass

LSB Member
I have 2 trail cameras out, 1/2 mile apart. One camera had a single hog picture at 2:00 pm (daytime, unusual) and 11:30 pm, different hog. The other camera had pictures of foxes, raccoons no hogs.

Whosure

LSB Member
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I would shoot the raccoons and foxes in the mean time.

jglass

LSB Member
I would shoot the raccoons and foxes in the mean time.

Thought about that, but a license is required to shoot raccoons and foxes cannot be shot or trapped. Road kill foxes can be collected
for trophy mounting. I may buy a slingshot to make the foxes feel unwelcome, they are eating my hog bait. I think a nonresident
14 day license is $48

Last edited: