Hogs...resilient hogs

LSB Active Member
So Monday night I popped a nice boar in the head. Dropped instantly. Was almost midnight we were all tired so threw it in the reefer to get cleaned in the next 2 days which is as long as I will let one go w/o gutting it. I go out this evening to get er dun and as I put the gambrel in place I notice there is a hole in his gut maybe a foot behind the shoulder and there is some bile leaking out. Hmmm. Only fired one shot at this guy and in the noggin.

I proceed to work my way down to the peritoneal layer and poof the rancid smell of bile erupts b/f I even get the cavity open it had already seeped into the tissue. That gut shot probably woulda killed him in a day with the bowel destruction regardless but dang. Gut shot with a 30-06 and what does this boar do? Not go take a nap or recover, but go EAT rye grass in the next field. Unreal machines.

So on the way home tonight I called my buddy who had been a couple of fields over and taken a shot at one running for cover b/t two heads maybe 45 minutes b/f I shot this one. He couldn't find it it was a few minutes b/f sundown. Boar would have had to go about 400 yards to get where I stumbled upon him after my buddy went up to the north end of the property. 'I bet you finished him off!'

Last edited:

Ratdog68

LSB Official Story Teller
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Amazing! Absorb an 06 round and be hungry!

LSB Active Member
It's really astonishing considering 180 grains of butt whuppin. I'm guessing it nicked the bottom of his plumbing and wasn't a blow out transecting structures....unlike his head/neck. Come to think of it the truck was starting to smell a bit we had him in the back for a good hour b/f we called it a night I had just chalked it up to stinky boar hogness covered in mud, crap and pig jizz.

LSB Active Member
ha, i'm on team OinK (regardless of what my banners say). the br gang is a bunch of misfits big rick put together. i suspect he had to include all of them because everyone's related in east texas
I need to start my own on the hunting lease…LTG....lone thermal guy

BDubbs

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
DJ is just still a little butt hurt from his application being turned down to join the gang... he has the heart and the personality for it, but he just couldn't pass the shooting test!

Brian Shaffer

Hog Hunter
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Gut shot with a 30-06 and what does this boar do? Not go take a nap or recover, but go EAT rye grass in the next field. Unreal machines.

If you think about it, what options do injured hogs really have? Taking a power nap for 30 minutes isn't going to change things. If anything, he will still be gut shot and then also covered in ants if he beds down like that. They can't check into a hospital to recover. So they will continue to do what they do to survive and eating is part of survival. Feeding may actually help the hog feel better. Being gut shot, it isn't as if the hog can even lick its own wounds. So the hog ran as far as it felt was necessary to feel safe and started back on a routine to stay alive.

LSB Active Member
I bet if that hog could do it over again he'd of gone out for hookers and blow.....being that he was on an egg timer to impending death!

D

djones

i wud consider self inflicting a wound if hookers and blow were part of the deal. and dubbs mite b rite, i may not hit anything, but i'd dam sure fire all of my guns at once.

LSB Active Member
i wud consider self inflicting a wound if hookers and blow were part of the deal. and dubbs mite b rite, i may not hit anything, but i'd dam sure fire all of my guns at once.

there is no downside either way i like where your head is on this matter.

Chopperdrvr

Deep East Tx
SUS VENATOR CLUB

BDubbs

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Surely that didn't get your Depends all wadded up... if I hurt your sensitive little feelings I apologize! I apologize to 437 as well for interrupting his thread to do it... that was surely a tough ole pig... can you imagine the gut shot pigs eating peanuts out in West Texas???

LSB Active Member
You don't have to apologize to me I'm the biggest ball buster on the planet this place needs more of it in my opinion!

BDubbs

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Lol, the old fart either... I'd just hate to have him pouting on his walker this wknd and be off his game... looking forward to seeing more vids of mass pig murder and mayhem!