Hogs not making it easy on me

Pork Popper

LSB Member
One late afternoon ,while working on the ranch, I heard hogs devouring the deer corn up on the hill. Haven't put any feeders out yet, but it was going to be mainly for attracting more deer and not hogs. Anyhow, I grabbed a rifle and headed up there on foot. Was able to hide behind round hay bales and squeeze off a shot. The sounder was right along the edge of a dense thicket of hardwood trees. Tall weeds and hay bales limited my view of where they scattered off to.

Eventually I found the big sow not far from where she was standing when the slug hit her. But ever since then the hogs won't come out of the trees until late at night and when they know I have left. They can watch the ranch house and shop while remaining in the thicket. One of these days there will time for me to put a hurt on them at night. I'll just pretend to leave and come back to the ranch via a secondary entrance further away.

scrmblr1982cj8

LSB Active Member
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
LoneStarBoars Supporter
You've educated them. It will tougher from here on out.

ZenArchery

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
A property I hunt regularly has about a 1 week duration before they forget their cousin died there hahahaha

Cam

Same here. I have a deer feeder with a hog light about 200 yards off my back porch. When I drop a pig, it takes about a week before the pigs show up again.

Andrew Wallace

LSB Member
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
On Saturday my buddy shot a sow under a feeder, the rest of the sounder took off. They were back 30 min later and saying, hey look..Bob is asleep. 2 sows down in 30 minutes.

jglass

LSB Member
Yep, I have seen them return in an hour. But, when they get shot at they re-write the rule book. Often, but not always, they don't return or they return but at different feeding time like the middle of the night. This is why I pass on a killable but questionalble shots. I don't miss very often.

I would allow the bait to disappear and wait a few days then put out a small about of bait and a trail camera. See if hogs return and the time of day. But remember, the hogs may return again at the same time or they might not then return at the same time a day or two later.

Bacon8tor

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
On Saturday my buddy shot a sow under a feeder, the rest of the sounder took off. They were back 30 min later and saying, hey look..Bob is asleep. 2 sows down in 30 minutes.

Yeah I’ve had this happen multiple times. I’ll blast away at a sounder and start taking meat off the downed hogs with my headlamp on and when I’m done and scan around with the thermal they’re back out and I’ll do it all over again.