LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Congrats, too much fun there.

Curly Shuffle

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Glad to see things are working out. Look forward to many more of your night time escapades!! Also taking note of the Thor you are using, am in the process of looking at them. Thanks for posting and good shooting. BANG BANG!!

Afalex1

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Got the ATN Thor today (delivered one day early). Seems like a pretty good unit, no problem picking up a hand warmer in 85 degree heat at 100 yards. Of course, I don't have too much to compare it to other than the equipment I flew with in the Navy and that was all plane mounted. Took more shots to sight in than I am used to but looks pretty dialed in right now. The only issue I have is that the unit cycled off and back on twice during the shot. It is rated up to .308 so I am well within the recoil rating. If the problem persists, that will be bad given that I am really hoping to catch a sounder out in the open and get some follow-on shots.
It is the 2.5x 640x480, 50mm, 30Hz unit.

I had clients rent Thor scopes and they had the same thing happen. It was a battery issue. Not all cr123 batteries are the same length. If you have calipers find the longest one possible and it shouldn't shut off anymore.

Navygator

LSB Active Member
I had clients rent Thor scopes and they had the same thing happen. It was a battery issue. Not all cr123 batteries are the same length. If you have calipers find the longest one possible and it shouldn't shut off anymore.
It takes three, I have two sets and will find the longest. Thanks for the help.

Navygator

LSB Active Member
Allright. Had a good stalk last night on a small sounder. Had to go quite a ways but they cooperated. Came up over a rise and popped the largest one (ended up going around 140#). Would have liked to hit a couple of more but the darn ATN shutoff on me:mad::mad:. Just about a perfect shot, DRT with sst 120.

Spent the day cleaning up hog rooting and noticed some buzzards in the woods by the front feeder where I took a shot at the alpha sow the other day but didn't recover. With the buzzards help, I found her. Guessing around 250# but I wasn't going to wrap a tape around her after two days in the sun. Sad that I didn't recover when I shot her but happy that I didn't miss.

Ratdog68

LSB Official Story Teller
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Gonna start calling you TLM Jr. Congrats.

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Good hunting, what is it w ATN not able to make trouble free equipment?

Ratdog68

SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Good hunting, what is it w ATN not able to make trouble free equipment?
afalex addressed it with a handy tip. Kinda surprised batteries aren't made with closer tolerances.

theblakester

Got a black belt in keeping it real.
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
good job man.. sounds like youre havin a good time

Navygator

LSB Active Member
OK, got another one last night. Long stalk to a small group underneath their favorite tree. Unfortunately, I didn't get a chance to correct the battery issue so I only got one shot off and the atn cycled off and back on. She looked around a hundred pounds but after spending 15 minutes wrestling it into the truck, I am guessing a little bigger. I was able to pull the backstraps on this one.
Sadly, not sure if I hit her with a SST or Vmax because some of the ammo got mixed together. About a 70 yard shot, hit just aft of the shoulder. Bullet was just under the hide on what would have been the exit side. The entrance had what looked like a fist sized hole, not sure if that is normal but I was really impressed with the damage. I have a picture of the entrance but not sure if I should post.
Having problems resizing hog picture so here is link.

http://i1178.photobucket.com/albums/x367/navygator/imagejpg1_zps9acb7cc5.jpg

Ratdog68

SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Congrats.

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Good for you! Have you called Tyler and asked what you can do to fix the Thor, other than the battery deal?

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I would not be paying for a half working scope.

Afalex1

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Agree. Changed out batteries and cleaned the contact area inside the unit, it was filthy. 5 rounds cycled through fine. Fingers crossed.

I hope it works. It worked for my guys.