Hogs are thick in OK right now

Navygator

LSB Active Member
I am spending the week in central Oklahoma to look after my mom in law (recovering from serious illness), help at the ranch and maybe thin out the hogs. My father in law still works and can’t beat the hogs back fast enough in the little spare time he has. The game warden has trappers that help (they got 32 over the past two weeks on our ranch) but we still get hit hard.

Arrived last night after dark and I could kinda tell the hogs had been tearing them up. I didn’t have enough time to do anything but set up a light on the nearest feeder (I can see it from the bunkhouse) and unpack. Didn’t see anything at the feeder last night but when I awoke, I could better see the damage of the past few days. They have gotten bold, rooting right up to the bunk house and the main house.

Starting puttering around with work and then the local trapper drives up. He had a trap near the back feeder I didn’t know about. While I was walking up to say hello, heard some shooting and got there in time to see these three.

Here for a week and I rented an ATN Thor from UltimateNV that should get here on Friday. I am not the ultimate hog stalker like many on this sight but hopefully I can put a dent in them.

I resized the photos, hopefully they are not too big.

Ratdog68

LSB Official Story Teller
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Happy slaying. Well wishes for the family.

rgilbert

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Wow! Get on them man.

Chopperdrvr

Deep East Tx
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Holy cow! That's some serious damage. Good hunting and hope the family gets well soon.

Curly Shuffle

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
What a mess, they can sure tear things up. Hope to see some/many more picture of the dead swine. Thanks for posting. BANG BANG!!

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Good luck, they sure are bold!

Hard_ware

Here piggy piggy! Deep Deep S. TX.
Didn't think night hunting was allowed without a night permit from game warden in OK.
A few years back talked to game wardens in South OK and the hog problem had slowed down from previous yrs from what he told me.
Guess they are back :D
I think you will like the thermal.

BigRedDog

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
GREAT PICTURES

Navygator

LSB Active Member
Didn't think night hunting was allowed without a night permit from game warden in OK.
A few years back talked to game wardens in South OK and the hog problem had slowed down from previous yrs from what he told me.
Guess they are back :D
I think you will like the thermal.
The in-laws have had this property for almost a decade, cannot remember a time we didn't have hogs. And yes, you need to coordinate with Game Warden if hunting at night for hogs. For the most part, they are on board and generally only pay attention when it is deer season. That being said, we always keep a good and open relationship with them.

Navygator

LSB Active Member
Well, set up the light on a feeder last night and went to work on a project for work (I can see the feeder from the bunkhouse). Looked out at 9:30, nothing. Heard a little squeal about fifteen minutes later and there must have been 25 hogs under the feeder. Grabbed the 6.8 and went over to the area I shoot from to observe for awhile. Was trying to figure out the lead sow and it became apparent it was the big old mamma in charge. You can see her in this picture towards the back:

There were a bunch of little piglets running around too including some that had dalmation coloring but they aren't in this picture. Anyway, by the time I set up for the shot, several had wandered out from under the feeder (and light) including the alpha sow. The last ones starting heading out so I took a rushed shot on one of the few remaining. Didn't drop her and couldn't find her until the next day when I was some buzzards congregating by a large bale of hay. Maybe 120-140#, you can see I hit more towards the stomach. Not proud of the shot or the fact that I missed out on the backstraps, but happy to have one less hog running around here. 85 yards with a 120g SST.

Curly Shuffle

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Heck ya, maybe some more tonight!?? Nice picture of one dead hairy pig. Hope to see some more. BANG BANG!!

theblakester

Got a black belt in keeping it real.
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Dang man that's a lot of damage. Keep at it!

Navygator

LSB Active Member
Got the ATN Thor today (delivered one day early). Seems like a pretty good unit, no problem picking up a hand warmer in 85 degree heat at 100 yards. Of course, I don't have too much to compare it to other than the equipment I flew with in the Navy and that was all plane mounted. Took more shots to sight in than I am used to but looks pretty dialed in right now. The only issue I have is that the unit cycled off and back on twice during the shot. It is rated up to .308 so I am well within the recoil rating. If the problem persists, that will be bad given that I am really hoping to catch a sounder out in the open and get some follow-on shots.
It is the 2.5x 640x480, 50mm, 30Hz unit.

rob072770

Lewisville NC
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Is it legal now to hunt in OK at night?

rgilbert

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Good job. Hope you get to put the Thor to use.

Navygator

LSB Active Member
Is it legal now to hunt in OK at night?
It is for hogs, at least on private property, not sure about public land. You just need a depredation permit from game warden. We have a good relationship with them, they just want the hogs gone.

Navygator

LSB Active Member
Apologize in advance for the longish post, but this whole thermal thing is INSANE! I have no comparison for rifle mounted thermal but the Thor was incredible last night. Was able to clearly see hogs and deer over a 1000 yards away and ID them (but I think part of the ID capability was by how they moved and such). Could easily distinguish between deer and cattle at 900 yards. Was able to scan most of the property (minus the woods on one side) in just a minute or two on 1X and go to 2x or 4x to ID any heat signatures.

Found one large group of hogs under a lone tree around 10pm, although the wind was in my favor, I somehow spooked them during the stalk. Another group was on the back part of the property around 1130. Did a good stalk to within 50 yards or so. I hit the largest sow, she did a high speed limp/run into the woods. This is where it gets interesting for me. Prior to last night, I only shot at night under a stationairy red/green light. From that perspective, it looks like all the hogs just bolt. With the thermal, I could see that isn’t always the case. Some hogs bolted, some kind of ran in circles and some ran maybe fifty yards and stopped. Was able to get a few follow on shots, not nearly as easy as TEXASLAWMAN makes it look. I hit two smaller pigs but clearly need more practice at moving targets. The one below made it to the tree line and just stopped so she paid the price.

All in all, very impressed with the scope. Father in law says we should buy two!