Hogs and mountain lion

dwa

LSB Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Don't kid yourself everything but us knows when a cat is around. Last deer season seen no deer for almost a week neighbors found a half buried doe. Then just like that everything was back to normal

Brian Shaffer

Hog Hunter
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Would a mountain lion push hogs off? From what you indicated, the hogs were pushed off by flooding. The question is more of why aren't they returning?

In reading numerous discussion on mountain lions and hearing landowners speak, they don't push off the deer, but decimate them. A mountain lion will destroy a local "herd" of deer in a very short period of time and take years to recover, they say. I would assume that just like with human hunting putting pressure on hogs, a mountain lion could dissuade hogs from being around for a while, but they should still be coming back. Hunting doesn't keep all hogs away forever and it becomes a maintenance process. Keep in mind that mountain lions roam over a fairly large area, the lion would apparently being pushing the hogs out of dozens of square miles, if not hundreds and will be gone from parts of its range for weeks at a time, and that just isn't likely that the cat pushed all the hogs away where they all stay away for such long periods. If the cat is pushing around the hogs, then it would be likely that hogs would also get pushed into your area as well as the cat makes its rounds. Is that happening? It doesn't sound like it.

With that said, folks in some other flooded areas have reported hogs slow to return as well, though I don't imagine that will last. We also know that hogs can disappear from an area for periods of time, depending on resources. "Where did the hogs go?" is a common online query on various hunting forums. In the fall, the common response is that the hogs have gone back into the woods for acorns and other mast and no longer hit the feeders. If we were smart, we would fill our feeders with acorns and not corn, LOL.

The issue probably isn't just as simple as a mountain lion, though a lion could figure into it. You lost your hogs due to the flooding. Hogs have been slow to return to some flooded areas. A big cat may temporarily hinder a full or quick return.

FrankT

Destin FL
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
LoneStarBoars Supporter
What Brian means by the above eloquent prose is: Yes a Lion can run hogs off so can a flood, but you should get them back over time.

RattlesnakeDan

San Antonio Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I had an area that got flooded real bad, it was a great bedding area. When all the ground cover disappeared, the hogs had no reason to stay there anymore.

rob072770

Lewisville NC
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
LOL! Dan, you are one cracked dude! :D
Too funny! As one of our favorite people say" Blessed are the cracked as they let the light in" now one of my most favorite sayings . Thanks RD.

Ratdog68

LSB Official Story Teller
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
The 'Dog has "gradiated" to People Status ?

Ratdog68

LSB Official Story Teller
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter

rob072770

Lewisville NC
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
The 'Dog has "gradiated" to People Status ?
Well,I,would,say Hell Ya! You are a amazing human being and no,smoke if you know what I mean.

Shooter

Bedford, Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
the hogs are back, and if stays a bit cooler they will stay.

I think Halley Berry is one of the finest women out there, and would give up pig hinting for a day just to spend 10 minutes with her and have 8 minutes of time left over ~~~~~~~~~~~~~
;)