Hog sign. What to look for.

Discussion in 'Hog Hunting Tactics & Tips' started by TEXASLAWMAN, Jul 26, 2013.

1. Brian Shaffer

Brian Shaffer Pro Staff Third Coast Thermal SUS VENATOR CLUB LoneStarBoars Supporter

Mmmm, bugs is candy to pigs.

Andre Lopes likes this.
  2. RattlesnakeDan

RattlesnakeDan San Antonio Texas LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY SUS VENATOR CLUB LoneStarBoars Supporter

Great idea for new hog bait..."Bug-N-Grub"
    Half corn--half bugs. Brilliant!

Andre Lopes likes this.
  3. Brian Shaffer

Brian Shaffer Pro Staff Third Coast Thermal SUS VENATOR CLUB LoneStarBoars Supporter

I bought a bag of corn full of weevils that was a lot like that, LOL.

Andre Lopes likes this.
  4. theblakester

theblakester Got a black belt in keeping it real. LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY SUS VENATOR CLUB LoneStarBoars Supporter

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 22, 2015
    Curly Shuffle likes this.
  5. FrankT

FrankT Destin FL LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY LoneStarBoars Supporter TEAM OinK

That is a big one!

6. RattlesnakeDan

RattlesnakeDan San Antonio Texas LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY SUS VENATOR CLUB LoneStarBoars Supporter

Tooth fairy hog, I would like to catch him!

7. theblakester

theblakester Got a black belt in keeping it real. LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY SUS VENATOR CLUB LoneStarBoars Supporter

Ya that's a quarter dropped in the track and it was taken near where the third pic was takenwith that huge wallow water hole in the background behind the two little pine tree rubs

8. FrankT

FrankT Destin FL LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY LoneStarBoars Supporter TEAM OinK

You have Hog Sign...lol

9. RattlesnakeDan

Looks like he has all the comforts of home right there!

10. Jeff

Jeff LSB Member SUS VENATOR CLUB

Back to the legalities for a moment... Here in WA state I email both the Sheriffs' Office for the county we will be in as well as Fish and Game. I then get their replies and print the entire email thread. We do call the Sheriff the day before night shooting/hunting and give them a estimate of the areas we will be in. This all gets packed with my hunting license on each trip and we have yet to have an issue. This is advice from a local Sheriff who is a friend of mine (darn near family) and like most common sense things typically works.

Jeff

theblakester likes this.
  11. RattlesnakeDan

huh?

12. FrankT

Jeff FL use to be like that now thankfully we do nothing but go hunting

13. Jeff

Rd,

The previous pages mentioned legalities in hunting so I was just passing along what has worked for me. Just being helpful. Who gets called when a Farmer hears shots at night? The Sheriff of course. If they know they don't even show up, typically. If they do the emails are a life saver as it shows you are being responsible.

:)

J

Last edited: Nov 26, 2015
    RattlesnakeDan likes this.
  14. RattlesnakeDan

I was lost...I didn't go back and read.

15. Jeff

It's all good. :) :) I can come off a bit cryptic at times.

16. Hard_ware

Hard_ware Here piggy piggy! Deep Deep S. TX.

Those are some rich hogs dropping money like that :D

TEXASLAWMAN and theblakester like this.
  17. GN Benefield

GN Benefield New Member

Long-time hunter, deer mostly, and bear. Often wondered what was making the lower rubs.

18. 437

437 LSB Active Member

Have you tried a caller? I got bored on a crappy morning waiting for a nice buck who had been on camera every day who obviously wasn't gong to show for me. It was sometime around Christmas and pulled up some hog sounds on youtube and blasted them through my iPhone to see if I could stir any b/f I climbed down. Within 90 seconds I had one not walk, but RUN in. I was impressed enough to know I will be using a caller for squealin' babies at times this summer. I've also found the boars like a bleat call in particular the Primos I've called in 2 boars that didn't walk, but crashed in on me with the bleats. Might be worth a try if you are not having any luck

Chad Barnes likes this.
  19. Chad Barnes

Chad Barnes New Member

has anybody heard of using used motor oil poored on a log for the hogs to rub on

FrankT likes this.
  20. scrmblr1982cj8

scrmblr1982cj8 LSB Active Member LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY LoneStarBoars Supporter TEAM OinK

Yes. Hogs rub up against the log to keep their skin moist and scratch itches. Lots of people plant poles for this purpose.

Chad Barnes likes this.