Hog sign - more of what to look for...

lonepunman

LSB Active Member
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Last summer, TLM posted an outstanding review of hog sign and photos. I found it very useful, but the thread eventually veered off into baiting and game law. I'm hoping this thread will spur more hog sign photos and info.

My primary hunting ground is a rock factory, where the mesquite grows just high enough to shade the cactus. There is little water for wallows and distinct tracks, and no crops to tear up. When I began looking for hog sign several years ago, I had no one to teach me and the online photos of hog damage were ridiculously obvious.

The evidence was more subtle, and it took a while to realize what I was looking at, and why it was there.

Just an unweathered stone with all else around it untouched. The hogs will often overturn stones while foraging.

Stone.JPG

This particular stone weighed about 20 pounds. Note the tusk marks scratched on the underside.
Stone tusk.JPG

Above ground foraging.
Cactus.JPG

This mud scrape helped lead me to a wallow deep in the brush.
IMG_2094.JPG

Another view of the same tree; their shredding of the bark at the case killed it.

Tree mud.JPG

This fence appeared to be in good condition; the DNA indicated a good location for a hog pipe.

wire.JPG

Last edited:

lonepunman

LSB Active Member
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I am certainly open to that possibility.

On a completely unrelated note, please check out my latest post in Classifieds: "Genuine Sasquatch Hair Sample - SUS Venator Authenticated!"

theblakester

Got a black belt in keeping it real.
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Those are the finest hog hairs I think I have ever seen. I would have guessed some other critter.
I was thinking the same thing. But not quite experienced enough to refute it.