Hog scratchin post

LSB Active Member
So rifle season ends Sunday and we will be turning our focus on eradicating the pests which have gone absolutely out of control this year w/o trappers on hand. I've read, but never put into practice the scratch post idea. We have pig pipes on chains, but I really think I'd like to put some posts up this season as well.

Here is where I'm left scratchin my head on a scratchin post. While a creosote cross tie seems to be what I read most about is there anything else I can consider that might work just as well? We aren't going to put these anywhere near our club stands and want to put them in some unhunted, but hot pig areas which we will bring climbers to and a few of them have almost no trees in close proximity. Do you guys use pressure treated landscaping posts or will those just fall apart? The idea of putting carpet up on a tree with oil/petrol of some kind won't really fly in most of these areas, but that's a good thing. Our climbers will be in trees from about 75 to 150 yards, but the posts will be putting the pigs in a very vulnerable position out in the field where we can get a good long look at taking as many as possible b/f they get back to the woods.

Thanks for any ideas on cross tie substitutes if there are any or for any other ideas with scratchin in mind.

Curly Shuffle

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
There is a product out called Black Gold. From what I read it does the job. BANG BANG!!

FrankT

Destin FL
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I use a 4x4 wrapped in carpet and doused with KRESO D KRESO D - $12.75 : Wholesale Kennel, Pet Supplies

This is mixed with water and smells like Cresote in the old posts. you put the post in the middle of known trails for them to use to rub on and socialize. Also try roll barrels instead of the pipes see tips and tricks in the forums for directions

LSB Active Member
I use a 4x4 wrapped in carpet and doused with KRESO D KRESO D - $12.75 : Wholesale Kennel, Pet Supplies

This is mixed with water and smells like Cresote in the old posts. you put the post in the middle of known trails for them to use to rub on and socialize. Also try roll barrels instead of the pipes see tips and tricks in the forums for directions
Thanks that kreso looks great! I did read that on barrels I'm not sure I saw the advantage. Can you help a dummy out and let me know what we gain by going to the barrel? We already have sevreal pipes in play they work great! That said if the barrel will bring more hogs I'm game!

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
well a pipe will not last long, a barrel will last longer with bait in it if done properly, plus the barrel tells you the size of the hogs better when you are on stand. The bait lasting longer is better for those that need it to last w bait for 2-4 weeks and not have to refill

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Man that is a crazy setup...lol

LSB Active Member
Thanks guys all great stuff! I had more time to read thoroughly and the barrel is a winner over our pipe set up hands down. Going to stop by the mega car wash place today and see what is laying out by the dumpster!