Hog Prints?

JPK

LSB Active Member
Last summer my son and I were rounding a bend in the main berm road at my hunting club in Dorchester County, MD when we both saw several mottled or salt and pepper, dark grey animals dart from the edge of a field, across a ditch and into a wood.

Both of our instant reactions was: HOGS! But our sighting was extremely brief and partially obscured.

We had been hog hunting in TX a couple of months prior, and have hog hunted in NC and SC as well and we'd seen a fair number of hogs in the wild, so weren't unfamiliar with them.

Maryland isn't know for its wild hogs but I learned that there are some "escapees" from a 2013 DNR capture of pigs allowed to run loose on a farm adjacent to a WMA about 12mi from our club. The WMA is on an island, but there is a pretty good size bridge to it and at places the creek that separates the WMA from the mainland isn't very wide or deep, but it is all gumbo mud bottom.

There hadn't been any hog sightings and our caretaker thought we were full of it, but at our request put out some corn and duck pellet bait and set up a game camera. We got hundreds and hundreds of photos over a two week period, but after sorting through several hundred found only photos of sika deer. FWIW, MD sika deer are the smallest sub species or strain of sika, but they are dominant over our bigger whitetails. However, there were subsequent sightings of pigs within a couple of miles of the club from the one and only road that runs past our club.

So, I am left wondering if we did see hogs.

I took some photos of tracks around the summer bait sight which were different from the typical sika deer tracks. Sika tracks in mud tend to show hooves splayed outward toward the front. Whitetails too but less so. We have very few whitetails on this club, sightings are few and far between, but we have a heck of a lot of sika.

Here is a typical sika print:

Here are a couple I have questions about:

Any help appreciated!

JPK

TEXASLAWMAN

Lone Star Boars Owner
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter

JPK

LSB Active Member
Thanks.

I looked at the thread on hog sign before posting but was wondering if maybe youngsters might be pointier.

They are definitely different than the sika tracks, which splay, maybe a couple of the scarce whitetails.

I believe that what we saw were hogs based on the subsequent sightings down the road, but I think they moved off of our property.

I wonder if sika would run hogs off, they run whitetails off.

JPK

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
With so few hogs in numbers I would think they just moved on but other animals could move smaller hogs and groups out as well.

TEXASLAWMAN

Lone Star Boars Owner
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Yes what Brian said about the young ones. I do not think there is anything besides humans that will run off wild hogs it's usually the other way around.

JPK

LSB Active Member
Thanks guys.

We have had three winter killed deer we know of now with some snow cover but mainly ice and ice crust making it hard on the deer and other critters. We started supplemental feeding with corn left over from our deer baiting and some feed pellets and milo left over from feeding ducks through the summer. Hopefully this will help get the deer through the last of this ugly winter and it'll provide an opportunity to check for hog tracks. We are spreading the feed down the main road to cover a wide area, so a camera might not work too well.

BTW, we leave +/- 65 acres of chufa, milo and millet standing in partially flooded impoundments for ducks and geese and plant a fall and winter "wildlife" mix on another 20 acres of dry ground for deer, turkey, whatever. Deer and turkey and everything else have to be taking a hit around us where it's mostly marsh with some pine or mixed pine and hardwoods and no tilled ground.

JPK