Hog killed and Cougar spotted

cincoranchhntr

LSB Member
We hunted south Tx last weekend. My buddy shot a 200 lb boar at night using a .270 and green LED. The hog was dropped at 4am. He saw a total of 15 pigs cross a sendero approx 140 yds away from his
stand. He only wanted the big boar, but was glad to see the pigs because we all enjoy hunting them. At 7am he spotted what he thought was a deer at first, but quickly realized it was a mountain lion. He has been hunting that area for over 30 yrs and has never seen one. He knew there were there, but only his dad and uncle had seen them over the years. This area is just south of Choke Canyon reservoir and has lots of hogs, deer and turkey.

FrankT

Destin FL
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Is that on a private lease? Choke is close to 3 Rivers right? Pretty far S for a Cougar, but have no doubt they are there too, so much remote land.

Ratdog68

LSB Official Story Teller
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Big kitties eat good.

TEXASLAWMAN

Lone Star Boars Owner
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I want a mountain lion!

Is that on a private lease? Choke is close to 3 Rivers right? Pretty far S for a Cougar, but have no doubt they are there too, so much remote land.
Brewster County ( Big Bend) Is supposed to have a high concentration of big cats that's about as south as you can get.

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Wow, I was off and yeah that is where they are.

EGarza04

El Sauz, TX
SUS VENATOR CLUB
according to lots of research there are two major populations left within the state of Texas. The Trans Pecos population is very stable. The south Texas population is stable, but it still at risk of disappearing. lion habitat in Texas mainly consists of riparian cooridoors and adjacent areas. some of the more densely populated areas in South Texas are in and along the Nueces River corridor. The Rio Grande river also holds lions in areas that are not clear cut and farmed.

mountain lions do occur all the way into the interior of Mexico.

Texas is also one of the only states that does not consider mountain lions as game animals.

BigRedDog

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Great, now you made Rick's head hurt

:D

cincoranchhntr

LSB Member
Yes, the property is privately owned by a buddy and is a few miles WSW of Three Rivers directly south of the reservoir. It's awesome hunting acreage as it has the Nueces river running thru it. Lots of hogs and deer.

cincoranchhntr

LSB Member
We get to hunt this land, free of charge. I have donated a feeder to the property and will be providing a permenant 2 man blind also. We also bring corn and ranch house supplies each trip to keep the place stocked. A small price to pay for having access to hog hunting year round as well as deer season.
The property has belonged to his family for several generations.

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Good for you, that has always been good hunting land even before the reservoir, when I hunted it. Lived in McAllen and Corpus.