Hello from North Texas!

Elchilero68

I'm new to hunting wild boars but not to hunting, shooting or reloading. Found out about this site from TEXASLAWMAN and decided to check it out! I bought a Ruger 556 in 6.8 SPC on the recommendation of a friend and have not been disappointed! I built a lower for it and it is a good match for the upper. Now to get some pig hunting in.

Wassman

Houston, Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Welcome we are getting a great group here already.
Question: Did you have to ream the chamber of that Ruger to SPCII or did it already come with new spec chamber? Just curious if I ever happen to come across one, I have only seen Saami from the SR 556 in 6.8.

TEXASLAWMAN

Lone Star Boars Owner
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Welcome! Glad you joined us! Lots of knowledge here and a ton of great guys already!

Ratdog68

LSB Official Story Teller
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Welcome to the fray.

Elchilero68

Welcome we are getting a great group here already.
Question: Did you have to ream the chamber of that Ruger to SPCII or did it already come with new spec chamber? Just curious if I ever happen to come across one, I have only seen Saami from the SR 556 in 6.8.

No, Ruger 6.8 chambers are all SAAMI (SPC I) until SAAMI approves the new SPC II configuration. I've done quite a bit of research on the differences in terms of pressure, velocity, accuracy, etc and I will not ream the chamber. The Ruger shoots very well and if it ain't broke, don't fix it! If Ruger goes to a 1:11 SPC II with 4 or 5 grooves then I'll get one. The Ruger chamber & bore are chromed and I am concerned that reaming might result in deterioration of accuracy and delamination of the chrome. I'll keep my eyes open for another upper with SPC II and 1:11 twist with 4 or 5 grooves. Maybe next January.

Wassman

Houston, Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
No, Ruger 6.8 chambers are all SAAMI (SPC I) until SAAMI approves the new SPC II configuration. I've done quite a bit of research on the differences in terms of pressure, velocity, accuracy, etc and I will not ream the chamber. The Ruger shoots very well and if it ain't broke, don't fix it! If Ruger goes to a 1:11 SPC II with 4 or 5 grooves then I'll get one. The Ruger chamber & bore are chromed and I am concerned that reaming might result in deterioration of accuracy and delamination of the chrome. I'll keep my eyes open for another upper with SPC II and 1:11 twist with 4 or 5 grooves. Maybe next January.
That's what I though. Thanks for the info.