Hello From Michigan

OneDollarTaco

Just joined, looking for expertise and recipies... "imported" my first hog meat from Georgia on a daytime hunt and had a blast.

Ratdog68

LSB Official Story Teller
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Welcome to ya. Good crew here.

BigRedDog

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
HOWDY

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Welcome! I dry rub the ham, put it in the smoker for 3 hrs or how smokey you want it then in a counter top Roaster Oven for another 3-4hrs on a rack with beer/apple juice and seasonings in the water

RattlesnakeDan

San Antonio Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Michigan is a long way from hog country. It's addicting, chasing hogs. Welcome here.

BigRedDog

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
come on down

theblakester

Got a black belt in keeping it real.
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Welcome! Maybe were too close to Mexico but is a dollar a good deal on a taco up there?:D

Wild hog meat is very lean, so I suggest cooking it on a lower heat for longer. The critical thing to me, which is also sort of a catch 22 is that hogs carry parasites so u want to make sure it's cooked all the way to temp in the middle without letting it dry out. Basting, marinating, soaking etc before and during cooking help keep it moist as well. Cooking it covered or wrapped in foil helps also.
For a quick and simple recipe I get about 1.5 lbs of quarter meat cut into about 2 oz pieces (or some back strap steaks) in a pan and season it with Lawry's (or your own favorite seasonings) and some brown sugar. Then add BBQ sauce, Italian dressing and a few drops of liquid smoke per serving (a little of that stuff goes a long way). Cover it with foil and bake it on 275 till the meat looks like it's medium well-well done. Goes well with brown rice and kidney beans.

OneDollarTaco

Thanks all, much appreciated! I see lots of night shooting, but I don't have any night vision yet. Are there still plenty of daytime pigs?

BigRedDog

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
NOPE, NONE THAT i HAVE EVER SEEN

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
One of our guys at the lease shot a 300-400lb hog at the lease and lost it in the woods and swamp...His Dad said he thought it was a bear when he saw it go by him. Broad daylight

BigRedDog

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
urban legend

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Nope happened this weekend, 2 smaller 100 lbers were ahead of it, probably in breeding mode

theblakester

Got a black belt in keeping it real.
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Lol. I have a couple game came pics of hogs at dawn and dusk. Last spring my dad had a young boar that was coming out to his feeder an hour before dark. And another one came in a few times at 9 am. It happens sometimes but you're probably a lot better off hunting them at night.

slim_shady

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
The only day pigs I've seen are ones I've stumbled upon when they have been bedded down for the day. Most of the time they have heard me coming and a good shot is a challenge.

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I love it "onedollartaco"...lol